Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water Meters
10-07-2006, 06:36 PM
Water Meters

We don't use one, and even though I think paying for what you use is fairer than a set rate, I'm convinced that my family's bill would go up if we were on a meter - even though I did this questionnaire and we came out lower than average users http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/629/629/5086298.stm

I'd be interested to know what we would pay if we were metered. The questionnaire suggests we use around 350 litres per day. On a meter we'd play a flat charge plus X per litre used.

Anyone here have a meter, if so what's the flat charge and charge per litre?

Also - any strong views on whether water meters are great/a rip off/etc?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Water Meters
I have had a water meter in all of my three houses, and i pay a lot less than my parents - who pay rates.

I think for a couple who are out all day and use the washing machine maybe 2-3 times a week its much cheaper. But i have heard that families who use the washing machine lots and run a lot of baths would pay more on a meter than if they paid rates.

I know im much happier on a meter.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-07-2006, 06:40 PM
Water Meters
Any idea what you pay for the flat charge and price per litre?

10-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Water Meters
Ill dig out a bill, hang on.

OK - ive found one, but i dont know what to tell you !!!

I pay separate sewage and fresh water.

The sewage is about £140 every 6 months.

This is what it says on the fresh water bill - although i dont understand it !!

Standing charge 015mm @ £20.50 a year
Domestic Consuption charge 16 M3 @ 73.64p.

The fresh water bill was £11.78 for a quarter, with a standing charge of £4.16.

Does this help ?

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
10-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Water Meters
survivorfan Wrote:We don't use one, and even though I think paying for what you use is fairer than a set rate, I'm convinced that my family's bill would go up if we were on a meter - even though I did this questionnaire and we came out lower than average users http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/629/629/5086298.stm

I'd be interested to know what we would pay if we were metered. The questionnaire suggests we use around 350 litres per day. On a meter we'd play a flat charge plus X per litre used.

Anyone here have a meter, if so what's the flat charge and charge per litre?

Also - any strong views on whether water meters are great/a rip off/etc?

Water meters are the fairest way to charge for water services but it really depends on the size of your family and the rateable value of your property, whether you would be better off on a meter or not.

The company I worked for would say that an average persons bill would be around £100 per year (water & wastewater charges including service charge). So an average 4 person family would use around £400 per year.

This is only a guide as some would use more and some less than average. Each water company sets their own charges so they do vary from one area to another.

If you have a high rateable value then unless you have a very large family you are normally better off on a meter but if you have a low rateable value and a large family then rates is normally cheaper.

I hope that helps SF!

[SIZE="3"]ils - Member of SO since August 2001![/SIZE]
10-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Water Meters
It does thanks, I guess if I need the actual rates I should ask Thames Water.

10-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Water Meters
survivorfan Wrote:It does thanks, I guess if I need the actual rates I should ask Thames Water.

Yes they would be able to advise you, depending on your rateable value and your estimated consumption whether you would benefit from a water meter. My advice would be though, unless you would make a large saving then stay on rateable value, as on a water meter you pay for what you use, including water lost from a dripping tap, children leaving taps running accidentally etc.

[SIZE="3"]ils - Member of SO since August 2001![/SIZE]
10-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Water Meters
I would probably save money...according to the calculation the average person uses 155 ltrs a day...in my house, because I drum heads together about this issue all the time, we use on averag 55 ltrs a day!

mind you you can add about 16 ltrs to that when it comes to the amount of water used for drinking and cooking!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
11-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Water Meters
Bonsai Wrote:This is what it says on the fresh water bill - although i dont understand it !!

Standing charge 015mm @ £20.50 a year
Domestic Consuption charge 16 M3 @ 73.64p.

The fresh water bill was £11.78 for a quarter, with a standing charge of £4.16.

Bons the Domestic Consumption bit is showing that you've used 16 cubic metres of water in the Quarter, at a charge of 73.64p per cubic metre.

The Standing Charge bit is harder to figure out, as £4.16 isn't a quarter of £20.50!

SF - Do Thames supply your clean water? If so, you can find their charges here: http://www.thameswateruk.co.uk/en_gb/Dow...d_99kb.pdf
Seems they're a bit dearer than Bons's supplier.
Thames give some advice on your likely water usage here:
http://www.thameswater.co.uk/UK/region/e...low_000108

Mick Smile
No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts

For topical debate and vitriolic mudslinging DON'T visit: http://www.greatworlddebate.com cos it's a dead link.

INSTEAD visit http://greatworlddebate.net/gwdsmf/index.php
11-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Water Meters
An old lady we knew changed to a water meter so she could save money and there wasnt that much difference. Although I suspect water meters will become mandatory for all of us in the near future.