Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weather Question Rainfall
09-09-2005, 02:48 PM

I wonder if forum-ees know how much rainfall their town gets each year on average and then how that compares with say

Plymouth, Bristol, London, Norwich, Manchester, Newcastle, Edinbugh, Dundee, Inverness, Lerwick

I mean generally, not specifically

And then how that compares with New York, Sydney, Paris, Vancouver and say Cape Town

I am interested to know what the general perception is?

**I heart Northern Soul**
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2005, 05:03 PM
IsLe Of WeAtHeR Wrote:I am interested to know what the general perception is?
You are???

Ok then, I live in the south east of England. The east side of the UK gets significantly less rain than the west side. Of the towns you mentioned I'd speculate that Plymouth has one of the highest rainfalls.

As for the internation list, well I'd guess Sydney's rainfall is below average and Vancouver's above average. But none of them in the same league as say Kuala Lumpur or Dhaka Smile

Mick Smile
No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts

For topical debate and vitriolic mudslinging DON'T visit: http://www.greatworlddebate.com cos it's a dead link.

INSTEAD visit http://greatworlddebate.net/gwdsmf/index.php
Find all posts by this user
10-09-2005, 01:17 PM
mikado Wrote:You are???

Ok then, I live in the south east of England. The east side of the UK gets significantly less rain than the west side. Of the towns you mentioned I'd speculate that Plymouth has one of the highest rainfalls.

As for the internation list, well I'd guess Sydney's rainfall is below average and Vancouver's above average. But none of them in the same league as say Kuala Lumpur or Dhaka Smile

Sydney has about double what London gets and much more than say Glasgow. Vancouver which beats Glasgow and Plymouth still gets caned by Sydney...

10-09-2005, 04:52 PM
A very interesting question for the 'Soapbox' section.

May I make my offering of this rainfall map. Is this what you mean IOW or would it have been better if it covered more than Europe?

The concentration around the former Yugoslavia is interesting - possibly more concentrated than you'd usually get in Sydney?.

[Image: precieuropa.gif]

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
10-09-2005, 04:53 PM
Well I tried and failed to find out Paignton's annual rainfall......

but as we are 45 mins from Plymouth I am guessing it aint that different - sometimes it seems that it is ALWAYS raining here :mad2: its been peeing down since the early hours, this time last week it was glorious!!!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
10-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Well I think that we have broken records in rainfall this evening. I live on a main road and it is a flood out there, I'm not kidding. The drains are not coping with all the rain and it is pelting down. :blink:

Poor Islandman, arriving in London and is faced with torrential downpours. :unsure:

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
11-09-2005, 08:57 AM
You know my rainfall chart? I've just noticed that it is regularly updated without me having to do anything. So my last comment abut the rainfall in the former Yugoslavia no longer applies because the rain has moved elsewhere.

COuld this be a first for SO - a picture in a post that updates itself?

Are you impressed IOW?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
11-09-2005, 02:40 PM
survivorfan Wrote:You know my rainfall chart? I've just noticed that it is regularly updated without me having to do anything. So my last comment abut the rainfall in the former Yugoslavia no longer applies because the rain has moved elsewhere.

Are you impressed IOW?

An excellent map.

I would imagine that many people would be surprised to learn that, say Nairn, in the North of Scotland gets less rainfall per year than their own town (unless you are in Kent or Essex in which case it will be similar).

11-09-2005, 02:59 PM
survivorfan Wrote:You know my rainfall chart? I've just noticed that it is regularly updated without me having to do anything. So my last comment abut the rainfall in the former Yugoslavia no longer applies because the rain has moved elsewhere.

Are you impressed IOW?

I posted a picture of the hurricane the night it hit land, then I went back to have a look at it the next day and it had gone.
It too had updated itself, amazing.

[Image: 429.gif]
11-09-2005, 03:09 PM
Here's a nice little graph comparing the rainfall of Glasgow, Aberdeen and Lerwick (I must say, I'm surprised at how much less rain Aberdeen gets!)
The rainfall for my town is probably just a little less than Glasgow - something to do with shelter from the surrounding hills or something like that...

[Image: climate_rainfall.gif]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Metaphysical Question survivorfan 62 4,800 20-11-2006 12:34 AM
Last Post: msgirl
  Philosophical question(s) survivorfan 90 4,593 03-08-2005 03:31 AM
Last Post: mikado