Poll: What do you think should happen to the West Pier in Brighton?
It should be pulled down
It should be restored at any cost
It should be rebuilt
Don't care either way
Other
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
West Pier Brighton
17-02-2005, 01:56 PM
West Pier Brighton

The West Pier is in the news again as it is a year since the West Pier Trust lost it's lottery funding to restore the West Pier in Brighton, yet they are still set to rebuild it 30 years after it closed. We talked about this on the last forum and I know there were a lot of differing opinions on this so I thought it might be interesting as we have a few new members to ask the question again.

My opinion for what it is worth as an ex brightonian is that they should pull it down. It has been an eye sore on the horizon for as long as I can remember and it is slowly but surely falling in to the sea. I think the money could be put to better use. After all in this day and age surely Brighton doesn't need two piers.....

What do you think ?

Should it be restored at any cost or do you think like I do, that the money could be better spent....

Story Here

Some of the opinions at the end of the article are interesting :wink2:
Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2005, 02:03 PM
West Pier Brighton
Lol ILS, i saw your reply :thumbsup:

To be honest, i cant really give an opinion on the pier as i have never seen it nor visited Brighton. Although i can see the piccie in the article, to give an opinion i feel i would need to see it in the flesh.

I suppose it would be nice to see a bit of history brought back to life, but if it is as run down as they say, many many millions would have to spent on a complete re build, and maybe that isnt worth it if they already have one other pier.

I know if the pier in Southend was to be demolished i would fight to get it rebuilt as they only have one, and i have many happy memories of that pier, but if they had two .... who knows. Maybe i wouldnt care as much.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-02-2005, 02:16 PM
West Pier Brighton
Bonsai Wrote:I know if the pier in Southend was to be demolished i would fight to get it rebuilt as they only have one, and i have many happy memories of that pier, but if they had two .... who knows. Maybe i wouldnt care as much.

It would be different if it was Brighton's only pier but it isn't. It has been closed all of my adult life and if even as a child we only ever went on the other pier so I have no childhood memories of it....
17-02-2005, 04:06 PM
West Pier Brighton
Oh you know my opinion on this subject - I adore it or would have done if I had seen it as it was.

Ladeeeeee's of a certain age love preservation - well I do - and I would go to any lengths to preserve an ancient monument like me - ooops I meant the Brighton Peir.:thumbsup:

Oh and btw - I too saw your bit ils - hey well done missus fame is calling!! But I really enjoyed reading some of the others as well.:w00t:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-02-2005, 04:31 PM
West Pier Brighton
ilovesurvivor Wrote:My opinion for what it is worth as an ex brightonian is that they should pull it down. It has been an eye sore on the horizon for as long as I can remember and it is slowly but surely falling in to the sea.

Isn't that a good argument for restoring it?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
17-02-2005, 04:37 PM
West Pier Brighton
I don't think so SF, I would much rather it be pulled down.....there is hardly an of it left anyway, all they need is another storm and it will fall into the sea, well another bit of it anyway.....

They have been trying to raise enough money to restore it for 30 years, and now the lottery funding has been withdrawn I can't see them ever having enough.....
17-02-2005, 04:42 PM
West Pier Brighton
OK but you said they are set to restore it, so that suggests they've got the money.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
17-02-2005, 04:49 PM
West Pier Brighton
survivorfan Wrote:OK but you said they are set to restore it, so that suggests they've got the money.

Sorry SF, I didn't explain myself very well, what I meant to say was the trust are still trying to raise money the to restore or rebuild it......

Here are a couple of pictures of the burnt out shell which is left

[Image: _40832797_pier_wreckage2_bbc_203.jpg]

[Image: _40832791_two_piers_bbc_203.jpg]
17-02-2005, 05:16 PM
West Pier Brighton
We've got the same problem with the Bognor Pier. When I moved here in 1977 some of it had already fallen into the sea and then the big hurricane sent a lot more of it the same way and now we only have an amusement arcade and a little bit of a pier behind it. Silly devils are still jumping off it in the summer, without realising how shallow the water can be. That's as well as the silly devils that jump off it every year in the name of the Birdman Rally - lol.

Not having been born in Bognor I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other and ditto with the Brighton pier really. I think if I had grown up with either of them I would probably want to keep them in all their former glory though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  West Pier Brighton ils 2 488 19-02-2005 09:19 AM
Last Post: Coastie