Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are the Undercurrents in SOL?
23-07-2005, 06:57 PM

I read these, from my perspective, as a matter of course. Whenever you have a group that is sociable and gets on, there are the normal human tensions e.g. jealousy, insecurity, self-esteem, power issues like superiority, annoyance, competetition, dislike, tolerance, popularity vs unpopularity etc etc
How do they come out through posts? Do they come out?
Would you notice them? How do they impact?
How do you deal with them?

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2005, 09:24 PM
This is an interesting question and one that I feel I could probably have answered very specifically when was a regular poster.

Nowdays, I am not such a regular poster so I have lost some of the "community" elements of the forum. Now, I just post when I feel like it and I say what I like without considering much how my opinions will be viewed by the wider audience.

But to answer your questions, in my past experience I would say that "yes", the normal human tensions do come out in posts in some way or another. But on the forum, the petty jealousies, rivalries, allegiances and tolerances (or lack of), which are part of most communities, are evident only to those who post regularly. I certainly remember seeing the signs of such social tensions when I was a regular poster, but remember that newer or less regular members were completely bemused by any suggestion of conflict.

However, these signs are subtle and tend only to be obvious to regular members of the community (particular those who are in regaulr PM / MSN contact). Nowdays, I am not part of any such group, so the social tensions are not at all evident. This either means that they don't exist, or I am out of the loop. I am inclined to think the latter.

Either way, as with real life society, such tension are usually a storm in a teacup. When I think back to past tensions on this MB, I am quite embarassed by how seriously how I took them!

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-07-2005, 08:22 AM
I watched Celebrity Love Island clips last night and you really can see the emotional intensity and storm in a teacup scenario in the closed off group. All very interesting.

I agree with you about being out/in. As an irregular poster, the tensions and undercurrents are lost to me. When I post more regularly, more digs and put downs. I find it a bit strange but it is real life too. A snapshot of real life.

24-07-2005, 08:49 AM
tonee Wrote:As an irregular poster, the tensions and undercurrents are lost to me.

THis may be a daft question Tonee - but if they are lost to you what makes you think they're there in the first place?

Also, I feel bound to ask - why the interest in what you term jealousy, insecurity, self-esteem, power issues like superiority, annoyance, competetition, dislike. Are these things that are troubling you on this MB, or are you simply looking at these things from a group/psycholgical/psychoanalytical perspective?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
24-07-2005, 08:53 AM
survivorfan Wrote:THis may be a daft question Tonee - but if they are lost to you what makes you think they're there in the first place?

I thought I mentioned 2 categories ie 1 as an irregular poster and 2 when I post more regularly - maybe I didnt fully explain that.

Also, I feel bound to ask - why the interest in jealousy, insecurity, self-esteem, power issues like superiority, annoyance, competetition, dislike. Are these things that are troubling you on this MB, or are you simply looking at these things from a group/psycholgical/psychoanalytical perspective?

This is only a thread for interest, nothing more. Would you ask the same question if the thread was about being sociable, part of a community, being welcomed, respect for all posts/people's views? Is there something troubling you with this post?

24-07-2005, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 24-07-2005 09:17 AM by survivorfan.)
tonee Wrote: Is there something troubling you with this post?

No, there's nothing troubling me with it, other than I thought that there might be something troubling you.

Going back to the question you ask in the topic title - 'what are the undercurrents on SO' are you asking what are the underlying reasons for any disputes that might arise here?

PS:

tonee Wrote: Would you ask the same question if the thread was about being sociable, part of a community, being welcomed, respect for all posts/people's views

It wasn't.

24-07-2005, 09:56 AM
Please miss, please miss ... I've spotted an undercurrent!!

[Image: 36_11_6.gif]

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
24-07-2005, 10:06 AM
Dolores Wrote:Please miss, please miss ... I've spotted an undercurrent!!

[Image: 36_11_6.gif]
Good work Sherlock :w00t:

24-07-2005, 10:19 AM
Dolores Wrote:Please miss, please miss ... I've spotted an undercurrent!!

Lol Dol! I was about to say something similar! :laugh:

survivorfan Wrote:THis may be a daft question Tonee - but if they are lost to you what makes you think they're there in the first place?

I think Tonnee has already said that she knows the tensions are probably there and has experienced them herself in the past, but they are lost on her if they are not affecting her directly.

I dunno if my opinion is of any interest, but personally I took tonnee's initial post at face value and assumed it was what it appeared to be - an objective question about the more negative aspects of social community and how they might manifest themselves on the forum. It didn't occur to me that there may be an underlying tension manifesting itself in a thread about underlying tension!!! :laugh: Actually, the fact that SF is trying to suggest that that could be the case makes it obvious that there ARE underlying tensions on the forum, so that's answered that question!

Bluddy heck!

But here's a novel idea. Why don't we just play along and answer the bluddy question, eh? Lets assume objectivity rather than suspect an agenda. Besides, its not fair to assume an ulterior motive behind the question the moment it is asked - frankly that kind of challenge has driven away more punters here than it has gained.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
24-07-2005, 10:22 AM
karenh Wrote:Why don't we just play along and answer the bluddy question, eh?

OK - what was the question?