Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you called?
08-08-2005, 01:25 AM
What are you called?

Inspired by MissiG....

I am from Hampshire and as such am known as a Hampshire Hog (not one of the most attractive things to be known as but hey)....

My friend is from Dorset and she is a Dorset Daisy....

What do they call people from your neck of the woods?

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2005, 01:31 AM
What are you called?
This is a sculpture done not that long ago by a localish company celebrating the counties hogginess...

[Image: boar.jpg]

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
08-08-2005, 01:33 AM
What are you called?
This was on a farmers site:

Hampshire Farmers' Markets News
Hampshire Hog Day

14/01/2003

Anything and everything connected with pigs happens on Hampshire Hog Day! There will be tastings, competitions, fantastic displays from stallholders involving pigs and possibly some guest appearances (to be confirmed).

This will be the third year it has run and it just gets bigger and better at Winchester Farmers’ Market – Sunday 28th September 2003

How gutted am I that I missed it eh! :sad:

08-08-2005, 01:35 AM
What are you called?
Ooo not to worry...there's another one!

Event Title : Hampshire Hog Day

Start Date : 25 Sep 2005
Start Time : 8:00

End Date : 25 Sep 2005
Finnish Time : 17:00

Anything and everything connected with pigs happens on Hampshire Hog Day! There will be tastings, competitions and fantastic displays from stallholders involving pigs.

Extra Info: Please visit http://www.hampshirefarmersmarkets.co.uk

DOL...are you up for a bit of pigging out luvvie? :w00t:

08-08-2005, 01:37 AM
What are you called?
we are sometimes called 'steel magnolias', g.r.i.t.s.-girls raised in the south, redneck women, southern belles, depends on who's doin' the callin'. msgirl
Find all posts by this user
08-08-2005, 01:44 AM
What are you called?
This is our coat of arms...showing the Rose but no hog...I'm guessing the lion ate it!

[Image: hampshirecoatarms.jpg]

08-08-2005, 01:45 AM
What are you called?
Here's the roses....

[Image: hampshire.jpg]

08-08-2005, 01:48 AM
What are you called?
i have some of those flowers growing wild in my yard!!! the older folks call them some kind of rose but i can't remember what!!! msgirl :w00t:
08-08-2005, 01:49 AM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2005 01:53 AM by Coastie.)
What are you called?
A bit of history on the hog and some other local stuff:

The 'ampshire 'ogs!
There is no actual record of this name but it is thought to have evolved from the extraordinary intelligence that the Hampshire folk firmly believedin, that was that their pigs were possessed of Music, Art & Literature.

It seems that when military bands from Portsmouth passed by there was a lot of commotion and excitement among the country folk, that even the pigs were driven to a good vantage point to see the passing bands.

The local dialect and sayings of the county are varied and there are few linguistic changes beyond a county border. Acccents though are entirely different, the residents of Test Valley are nearer to Wiltshire than those of the Meon Valley and this can be heard in the vocal tones. But there is hardly any difference between the people of Southampton and those living in the New Forest. But 'Townies' have never spoken like true country people though with the expansion of the towns nowadays this could change.

For example in Southampton the word "town" would sound like "tane" though in the rural areas the "ow" is more pronounced. The word Sotonian, which the people of Southampton are called was made up by a local newspaper to make it easier than putting "Southamptonians" in a headline, and they have their own distinctive greetings, such " Wassa matta Moosh" which when translated means "Whats the matter". Moosh usualy spelt Mush is Romany for "man" and this is often replaced by "nipper" or "nip" though this is usually for young boys.

There are many Gypsy words found in Hampshire, and a policeman is a "gawermush". Jobs can be described as "cushy" from "kushti" meaning good and a pound in currency is called a "bar".

Dialects differ to as for example "where is it?" will often come out as "where's it to?" and "some time" and "any time" can be "some when" and "any when". There are also the "folk" words such as "gallibagger" (scarecrow), "cackleberries" (eggs), "yaffle" (green woodpecker).

Also a lot of ancient words seem to have vanished from every day use in other places can often be heard here in Hampshire. A good example is that delectable word "shrammed" which comes from the Old English "scrimman" to shrivel and is used quite often for cold and shivery. In the New Forest the expression "Look see" is popular which seems to emphasize the meaning twice!! There is "cruncheon" meaning an informal evening meal, which is one of those words that seemed to have vanished completely from the Hampshire Vocabulary.

The most popular topic of conversation in the British Isles must be the weather and so there must be a lot of folk lore ways to interpret it. One Hampshire way of saying a storm is approaching is "It looks dark over Will's mother's." But nobody knows who Will was!!

"White rain" is often used to describe rain that falls like a sheet of water, and "Woodfidley Rain" to people in Burley means it is coming from the south west which is where Woodfidley lies.

There are many reproofs in the county and in Winchester it is 'not done' to say "she" as this is said to receive the reply "Who's she? The cats Aunt!"

Botley has a variation of "you cannot take it with you when you die" which is "There are no pockets in a shroud".

Odiham "Its a lazy wind it goes through instead of round you"

Kings Somborne "Like putting a pig o the wall to see the band go past"

And a rather insulting phrase is used to describe a lusty male in Southampton "he is like a Totton dog!" Totton being a town on the outskirts of the city.

There are also some rather strange prefixes to some of the places in the county such as Wicket Wickham, Worse Waltham, Shocking Shedfield and "Turktown" meaning Gosport which is said to have come from the Turkish graves that are in the town,

Tadley is another with "Tadley God 'Elp Us" but nobody seems to know for sure where Portsmouth got its nickname of Pompey. Though one theory is that Dame Agnes Weston who was the benefactress to the men of the Navy who while given a lecture she referred to the life of Pompey the Great, and someone shouted out "Poor old Pompey" and the name stuck. Another theory is that it refers to the ancient town of Pompeii in Italy which was covered with ash when Mt Vesuvius erupted and it was thought that this was because the town was reputed to be wicked and people said that Portsmouth was similarly wicked! There was also a granite column in Alexandria which was called Pompey's Pillar and the sailors from Portsmouth who climbed it were called Pompey Boys.

Perhaps we will never know the true origins but the name has stuck and the townspeople take great pride in it.

08-08-2005, 01:56 AM
What are you called?
they say the bulk of families in the south in america are from the u.k. orignally and that our accent is filtered down from that...i'm english/scottish/american indian by birth and scottish by marriage.