Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What attracts the viewers to big brother?
21-06-2006, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2006 03:44 PM by Northern angel.)

Hello survivors,

I saw about 15 minutes of Big brother last night and that was torture. I had promised to watch a whole programme but I'm afraid I had to break it. For me the programme offered nothing in terms of good viewing or entertainment value. When I asked about what do they do in the house, nothing but lounge around and get on each others nerves was the answer. Yet the youngster I had promised I'd watch a programme for is besotted with big brother.

I just don't dig it, for me it was not just torture but trash. Oh but the young one asks, "what did you think of Nikki"? "Nikki, Nikki who is Nikki but a foul mouthed ladette layabout"?

Any alternative views about it being marvellous entertainment, or of educational value?

Am I fast becoming an old square fuss pot, like Anne from the weakest link?
I love the weakest link, if you feel the need to insult someone do it with style and passion.

Is watching paint dry far more exciting?

Maureen
Northern angel

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-06-2006, 10:16 PM
I don't think you could deny that programs like Coronation Street, Eastenders, Emmerdale, etc. have a huge following but I'm sure that if you just switched on and watched one episode you'd feel exactly the same way. You wouldn't know any of the characters, their past or anything about the storylines so it just wouldn't hold any interest for you.

It's the same with BB, I know because I didn't used to watch it and when I had to tape an episode for my son I thought exactly the same as you NA. I then happened to catch the first night of one and got hooked on seeing how the various housemates fared.

However, having said that and having defended my right to watch it without being criticised, I am now forced to say that this one seems to be flagging badly.

The remaining housemates seem to be particularly uncharismatic and the format seems stale and in need of an injection of originality.

I am usually a 24/7 live feed watcher but I'm actually watching other stuff in preference since I got back from my holidays. Maybe being away and having to take a step back from it has broken the spell but it has certainly not held my interest so much since I came back.

The winner has been a foregone conclusion since Day 1, in my opinion. Pete, the lad with Tourette's Syndrome. I think he's an OK sort of bloke but nothing special and I think he will win because of his Tourettes and not in spite of it. I'm not keen on any of the others either.

I've started so I'll finish, as the saying goes, but I wouldn't be devastated if I couldn't watch it for any reason.
22-06-2006, 07:41 AM
Hello Critique,

Hope you had a lovely holiday. I always need a 48 hour rest after any holidays I take. Still they are well worth it.

I saw some of last years BB show and I actually had similar thoughts then, that there was just not enough activity or content to keep me glued to the screen.

I really think that apart from charismatic characters participating in the show it really needs a series of challenges so that the viewers voting for someone actually get to judge there performance in a given task.

I also watched one of the sideline studio based shows about the programme and found that equally tedious after five minutes and simply had to switch off.

The programme makers need to think about challenges that are not to unlike survivor or I'm a celebrity get me out of here, all of them based upon home based tasks. Cooking a meal from scratch with little ingredients to see who can come up with the most tasty and interesting.

I received an invite to join the BB house last year and thought no way, I'm afraid if I had nothing to do, I'd make everyone's life hell. Obsessive cleaning and tidying up. Vocal Singing exercises for strength and sustainable pitch plus the fact that it would be classical for 2 to 3 hours a day. If possible start decorating. I don't think I'd make a good house guest.

Would you?

Maureen
Northern angel

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
22-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Question: What attracts the viewers to Big Brother?

Answer: There's nothing else at all on TV on most nights at 9pm. Either Terrestrial or Digital channels.

That'll be it, I reckon.
22-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Well Maureen i hate all the soaps, never watch any of them, but i love reality tv, i like Big Brother because it's exciting to see what Loonys are going to be going into the Big Brother house, i find it entertaining to watch.

I also love America's/Austrailia's next top model and I'm a celebrity get me outta here, i guess i'm a reality tv nut.:wink2: :nerd:

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct.
Benjamin Disraeli

[Image: ake.gif]
24-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Truthfully, I watch in the hope that the housemates don't get on and constantly fight.
BB5's "fight night" was the best TV I've seen in ages :ninja:

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Big Brother - The Winner's Week - tonight C4, 9pm Dolores 11 4,548 29-08-2006 12:46 PM
Last Post: floopy
  Big Brother's Little Sister. borneobabe 4 2,453 21-08-2006 04:09 PM
Last Post: floopy
  Big Brother. A fix? Figaro 8 2,948 18-08-2006 10:18 AM
Last Post: MariaRob
  Big Brother Quiz floopy 4 2,199 17-08-2006 10:18 AM
Last Post: Seabreeze
  More Big Brother HMs Movie Posters.... Pandora 1 792 12-07-2006 06:32 PM
Last Post: Pandora
  Big Brother Australia (threads merged) Seabreeze 7 1,453 10-07-2006 03:55 PM
Last Post: Aondeag
  Big Brother Movie Posters Pandora 4 1,297 08-07-2006 11:19 AM