Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is/was your yearning in your youth?
28-07-2005, 07:41 PM

with two of our young pals off travelling the world, one soon to rejoin us (Scooby!) did you ever have a yearn to travel or do something else when you were young, do you still have a yearning, are you young and about to realise your yearning?

Come on share!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2005, 07:47 PM
myself being a country mouse I was always desparate from an early age, about 11 to live in London. My gran often used to warn me that the streets weren't paved with gold (!) ... gosh thanks gran for that handy tip!! But they were certainly paved with excitement!

I finally got to London when I was 20 and loved it for the next 10 years. But I've never had a yearning for much else. Although one day I would like to go to the Scottish Highlands ... ooh I'm a deevil aren't I!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
28-07-2005, 07:50 PM
In 1985 I did a summer in Corfu (where I met Patsy).

After travelling out with a mate I met on holiday there in the May, we parted company (as previously agreed) and I spent the rest of that lovely summer on my own. I made ends meet by washing glasses in a night club and encouraging people to use varius restaurants, diving clubs, motor bike hire etc. I met loads of reallly great people and had lots of fun. But the best bit ever was that I was on my own...I answered to no one.

It was a fantastic time...it set me up for the rest of my life.

I recommend every young person does it.
28-07-2005, 08:03 PM
oooooo nice question.

If I yearned as a youngster I generally went out and got it/did it/found it, I just sailed through youth with luck, joy and happiness ...

... nowadays however, sailing is not so easy it is more like wading through mud - but I still yearn for the stage/tv/even club recognition - but as I can't do anything particularly well my yearning will continue for a long time.

What Cat says rings a bell with me - I did an awful lot on my lonesome for a number of years, because I wanted to and because it was the only way for me then, but I would agree it has set me up for life - my independent streak is very very prominent in my life.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

28-07-2005, 08:08 PM
I think I've always yearned to travel....or just to "be somewhere else."

I've always wanted to come to England...and am now glad I get to be coming there soon....but there are so many places in the world I want to see that I don't know if I'll ever be content just being in one place....I think I'll always be a bit of a drifter. I've lived so long in rural American that I think now that I'm sort of on my own and done with college...i won't stay in one place too long...
28-07-2005, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 28-07-2005 08:54 PM by karenh.)
I don't think I ever had any youthful "yearnings" as such - I've always just done what wanted when I wanted to.

I travelled when I was in my late teens / early 20's - and spent a year of that time in Israel. That time was a wonderful experience which I would recommend to anyone before they settle down to the mundanity of careers and mortgages. It was my first taste of responsiblity and independence - but also my first taste of wild, reckless abandon and total freedom. It was ****ing fantastic, and really it is so much better that all that stuff is experienced before employers and building societies get involved in your life.

I dropped out of Uni. I personally never had a "yearning" to have a degree in English Lit - my parents did.

In my whole life I have never experienced "yearning".....until now. For the last few years, I have really, truly "yearned" for children. I can't explain why either - logically, there are lots of reasons why I shouldn't want them. But emotionally, I can't help myself wanting them desperately. Its irrational. :sad:

Yearning does not restrict itself to "youth". I am quite sure that my youthful life did not yearn for anything - it just took what it wanted. It has taken until now to really understand what it is to "yearn".

Sorry - had a few vino's. I know I'm probably being melancholy. :sad:

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
28-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Dolores Wrote:myself being a country mouse I was always desparate from an early age, about 11 to live in London. My gran often used to warn me that the streets weren't paved with gold (!) ... gosh thanks gran for that handy tip!! But they were certainly paved with excitement!

I finally got to London when I was 20 and loved it for the next 10 years. But I've never had a yearning for much else. Although one day I would like to go to the Scottish Highlands ... ooh I'm a deevil aren't I!

I'm off to the hielands next week so i will take your yearning with me and shoot it into the heather!

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things
Find all posts by this user
28-07-2005, 09:33 PM
karenh Wrote:I don't think I ever had any youthful "yearnings" as such - I've always just done what wanted when I wanted to.

I travelled when I was in my late teens / early 20's - and spent a year of that time in Israel. That time was a wonderful experience which I would recommend to anyone before they settle down to the mundanity of careers and mortgages. It was my first taste of responsiblity and independence - but also my first taste of wild, reckless abandon and total freedom. It was ****ing fantastic, and really it is so much better that all that stuff is experienced before employers and building societies get involved in your life.

I dropped out of Uni. I personally never had a "yearning" to have a degree in English Lit - my parents did.

In my whole life I have never experienced "yearning".....until now. For the last few years, I have really, truly "yearned" for children. I can't explain why either - logically, there are lots of reasons why I shouldn't want them. But emotionally, I can't help myself wanting them desperately. Its irrational. :sad:

Yearning does not restrict itself to "youth". I am quite sure that my youthful life did not yearn for anything - it just took what it wanted. It has taken until now to really understand what it is to "yearn".

Sorry - had a few vino's. I know I'm probably being melancholy. :sad:
don't want to get too personal, but isnt it ok to yearn for children? Why is it irrational? Again not meaning to pry. You dont sound melancholy and I think whatever the feeling is, it can be a good pointer towards something.

28-07-2005, 10:16 PM
tonee Wrote:don't want to get too personal, but isnt it ok to yearn for children? Why is it irrational? Again not meaning to pry. You dont sound melancholy and I think whatever the feeling is, it can be a good pointer towards something.

You ain't getting too personal Tonee - and yeh, it is OK to yearn for kids.

Problem is, we've been trying for the best part of two years and it ain't happening. :sad: The yearning gets more desperate when you can't have what you think you want.

We're going through the usualt tests. If it turns out there is a reason - then so be it.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
29-07-2005, 04:21 AM
karenh Wrote:You ain't getting too personal Tonee - and yeh, it is OK to yearn for kids.

Problem is, we've been trying for the best part of two years and it ain't happening. :sad: The yearning gets more desperate when you can't have what you think you want.

We're going through the usualt tests. If it turns out there is a reason - then so be it.

I had a real feeling of deja vu with you around this. Woke up thinking about it.
Tests may reveal something but also the cycle of wanting, expectation, pressure creates with it, as you said, a yearning and I'm sure anything else that might be the result of it not happening. Best wishes with thisxx