Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What price loyalty to fans?
08-12-2004, 06:21 PM

I'm thinking specifically of Harry Redknapp leaving Pompey and moving down the road to manage Southampton.

Where I work there is absolute outrage that Harry could betray the fans by going to their rivals after professing such loyalty and committment to the fans at Pompey over the last few years.

My question is how loyal can managers and players ever be to a team and as a fan of a football team how have you been affected by a player/manager's change of allegiance?

...or do the people i work with take it all too seriously?

(BTW - I'm not a football fan, although I do quite like watching the world cup games - for some strange reason - probably cos I don't want to be left out of the office chat!)

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2004, 07:09 AM
As a supporter it can be very upseting if one of your favourite players or the manager you like/respect moves to a different club especially if it is one of your teams rivals. But in the end to the players and managers it is just their job. So it is understandable that if they are offered a better deal at another club that they go there.

I don't think many people would turn down an offer of more money/better terms and conditions at a better company.
10-12-2004, 08:36 AM
Dol, it's all about money absolutely nothing to do with loyality!

The one that sticks in my mind was when Mo Johnston an ex-Celtic player signed for Rangers!! There was an absolute outrage. For those who don't know Rangers and Celtic are the fiercest of rivals, and that rivalary is sadly deepened by religion. Celtic are the Catholic side and Rangers being Protestant. There were burning of Celtic scarfs, strips, season tickets and equally some Ranger supporters were also angry that their team had signed someone from "the other side"!! :laugh: Mo Johnston's house was targeted as was his mother's. He, amongst others were sent death threats. The whole thing was taken far too seriously and to me, it really is time for the fans to grow up and get a life!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
10-12-2004, 03:26 PM
Dol....it's the fact that Harry not only left Pompey (a club that loved having him around) but the fact that he went to SCUMHAMPTON!...that's what's upset people...he has gone to the arch rivals........he could have gone anywhere else and the fans would have accepted it but to go and become a Scummer simply isn't acceptable to Pompey fans...... :wacko:

Personally I support Pompey but couldn't care less what Harry does with his life....I'm not that obsessed!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Any Spurs fans out there? Patsy 22 2,319 12-05-2006 08:30 AM
Last Post: Slipper