Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What should they sing?
22-11-2004, 01:21 AM
What should they sing?

I know we've often said that the contestants have been given the wrong song, and I've probably said it more than most. So, it started me thinking, how difficult is it to choose a song that would fit into their range, would suit their style, would bring out the best in their voices and be recognised.

Also, I assume they don't have a limitless catalogue from which to choose. I'm sure I read or heard somewhere that artists can refuse to have their songs covered on X-factor and progs of this ilk.

This is the best I can come up with, but I'm sure there's far more suitable songs that I haven't thought of.

Rowetta: I'm probably not going to like anything she sings, but Memories from Cats might suit her as she does have a deep voice that'll cope with the low sections. Try singing it and you'll probably end up singing notes only elephants can hear.

G4: Why not just go for the obvious and have them do Bohemian Rhapsody. I must admit it's difficult to think of something for them. Can anyone come up with an alternative?

Steve: Something mellow and smooth for Steve - 'What a wonderful world'. How about 'Mrs Jones' or is that too croonerish (if such a word exists)

Tabby: Let's see him make Agadoo into a rock classic. Failing that I'm sure Against All Odds would guarantee him a place in the final.

What else?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2004, 08:42 AM
What should they sing?
I would like to see them all sing something original - they've stuck with such standard classics over the whole show. How on earth can you tell if someone has the X factor by just churning out classics? I like to know that the contestants are actually capable of writing their own stuff even if it's a collaboration.

I would have the following:

Rowetta - Lady Marmalade (lots of people covered it!)

Steve - Try a little tenderness (Otis)

G4 - Bad Boys (Duran Duran)

Tabby - Do ya think I'm Sexy (Rod Stewart)

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
22-11-2004, 05:29 PM
What should they sing?
i think G4 are great and the best song for them would be UNCHAINED MELODY from the film GHOST. FROM BERNIE
Find all posts by this user
23-11-2004, 10:51 AM
What should they sing?
G4 - Wind of Change by the Scorpions
Tabby - The First Cut is the Deepest (but Rock it up)
Steve - I'll be Your Hero Baby - that one by Lonbe Star I think it was!
Rowetta - Smelly Cat by Phoebe!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
23-11-2004, 01:53 PM
What should they sing?
Coastie Wrote:Steve - I'll be Your Hero Baby - that one by Lonbe Star I think it was!
Great idea Coastie! Love it, though I'd still like to hear him crooning 'Easy like Sunday morning' as I'm sure I would just melt Blush

I'd like to hear G4 singing 'You've got a Friend', acapella, the way the Housemartins did it.

Rowetta - Anything other than another borin' ballad, we know she can do them, so let's hear her do something different. I'd even settle for hearing her do 'I will Survive'

Tabby - Like Coastie's suggestion, but he needs to break out of his comfort zone a bit now.
23-11-2004, 01:57 PM
What should they sing?
libby Wrote:i think G4 are great and the best song for them would be UNCHAINED MELODY from the film GHOST. FROM BERNIE

That's d be a good one for G4 - lots of harmonies for them.

I would like them see do some rock n roll tunes

G4 - Yesterday - The Beatles, Somebody to Love - Queen (STL has lots of harmonies with a big rock and roll finish...perfect!)
Tabby - The Joker - Steve Miller Band - I reckon the only way he will get thru os if he sings somthing cool and classic!
Steve - Heard it thru the Grapevine - classic
Rowetta - Son of a preacher man - classic again!

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>&quot;Work is the curse of the drinking classes&quot;</span></span>
23-11-2004, 04:25 PM
What should they sing?
G4 should do Barcelona. Steve should do anything that isn't soul music (he'll go this week). Rowetta could do Barbie Girl (only kidding). Infact, I'm still miffed that Cassie has gone; she should have done Olivia Newton John. My money remains on Tabby who should pull out his coup de grace and sing Handbags and Gladrags.
Find all posts by this user
25-11-2004, 06:09 PM
What should they sing?
It is sooo frustrating because I have the purfect song for Rowetta - every time I hear her doing those unsuitable songs (over the Rainbow and There's a Place for us just weren't her style) I get so mad because i can just hear her singing this one.

I don't suppose any of you will remember it because it was ages ago but a black singer called Iris Williams had a one hit wonder with "He Was Beautiful" which was the theme tune called Cavatina from The Deerhunter - yeah I know it was way back - lol, but with words added to it.

The first time I heard Rowetta I knew she reminded me of someone and it was Iris Williams. I played the song and I could just hear Rowetta.

I think it would be perfect because the younger folks won't remember it and accuse her of copying anyone and the older folks will and it is soooooo right for her.

I've been driving my friends nuts playing it to them and saying "Wouldn't this be perfect for Rowetta?" Smile They have all agreed. I wish there was somewhere we could send in our ideas (where they would actually read them too)
25-11-2004, 06:24 PM
What should they sing?
Critique Wrote:I don't suppose any of you will remember it because it was ages ago but a black singer called Iris Williams had a one hit wonder with "He Was Beautiful" which was the theme tune called Cavatina from The Deerhunter - yeah I know it was way back - lol, but with words added to it.

Hi Critique, I remember this fabulous song and yes, Rowetta would sing it just perfect. I would like to hear her sing "I don't know how to love him" from Jesus Christ Superstar, but then again like Voice I would like to hear her sing something a bit more upbeat but just can't think what it could be.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
25-11-2004, 07:19 PM
What should they sing?
Hi Bella, I'm so glad someone else remembers that song Smile I know what you mean about a more upbeat one - with all those songs she has done so far it is like she is trying to hold back the power. You would think that with all the resources and experience their advisers have they could come up with something more suitable Sad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What would you like to hear them sing next week? Dolores 12 2,346 12-11-2004 06:58 AM
Last Post: Taffy