Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's for a mid-life crisis?
16-11-2004, 07:12 PM

I think I'm missing out as I don't think I've had a mid life crisis. I hope it doesn't come at 50 - cos I couldnt' bear to think of living to a 100!

I work with a woman who reckons she is going through her midlife crisis at 32 - I said I hope you live longer than 64! But her theory is that as she had her first child young(ish) - she was 23 - she is having her mid life crisis speeded up!! (yes she does talk a lot of baloney!!).

Maybe I'm just not sensitive enough to have a mid life crisis? Or maybe I had a brill time in my 20s and so don't feel the need for a mid life crisis? I'm not sure! Maybe I'll have one next week - which would probably serve me right for making light of it all!

So any takers here for a mid life crisis and maybe some tips on how to survive it!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2004, 07:29 PM
How much time do you have.....blah blah hormones....lost oppertunity....getting save for your funeral mailingsfor 50+.....saga radio.......planning for being 60+, oh also 70+ and maybe the 80+ Realising you are unlikely to be there for your daughters 40th birthday and if you are you will be the grand old lady in the wierd ugly clothes in the picture. Sheoque is now sobbing and is too slumped over key board to continue.
16-11-2004, 07:56 PM
I'm sure mine must be overdue too Dol, but if it's a bit like middleage, that no one is ever prepared to admit reaching only passing, then we have long time ahead of us.
16-11-2004, 08:04 PM
What happens in a mid life crisis then?

I dunno if I've had one or not? I could be actually going through it for all I know......

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
16-11-2004, 10:04 PM
karenh Wrote:What happens in a mid life crisis then?

A very good question Karen! My friend at work doesn't actually specify what she means by it and to be honest I just let her chunter on most of the time too scared to ask her for more in depth answers!

I guess it means getting to a certain point in your life and feeling like you've missed out on something and then deciding it's too late to do anything about it. All joking aside that must be quite sad.

I'm either a very shallow person or I'm easily pleased but I don't feel like I've missed out on much in life overall.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
16-11-2004, 10:06 PM
I'd have one, but I don't think I've really got the time! I'm too busy to allow myself the luxury of a crisis just now, but I'm keen to try it Dol. Perhaps we could have a mid-life crisis themed month? How does February sound? But then that might be ageist, so perhaps we should have a mid-year crisis open to all and plan it for July? Actually I'm finding it all a bit trying just thinking about it, it's very stressful planning a crisis.

I'll just have an asprin and a bit of a lie down instead I think Smile
16-11-2004, 10:24 PM
Dolores Wrote:I guess it means getting to a certain point in your life and feeling like you've missed out on something and then deciding it's too late to do anything about it. All joking aside that must be quite sad.
Yes, putting my flippancy of the above post to one side, I can see how such a realisation could make someone feel low and as if time were slipping away. Like you I don't feel that Dol, although I do know that there are choices that I could have made and alternative avenues that I could have taken in my life, but I chose what I chose and I'm happy with that. I'd say it's never really too late to do most things (although it'd be a bit late to decide you wanted to be a prima ballerina say) sometimes I think the only person stopping us from doing something new, is us.
17-11-2004, 09:47 AM
I sometimes wonder if it might hit me when im 50 ? For instance, will i regret not having children, and not doing more with my life. Would i wish that i had travelled the world, started my own animal sanctury (my dream), and shagged more men :ninja:

Who knows, only time will tell - and i will let you know in 20 years time :wink2:

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
17-11-2004, 10:19 AM
50+ is a great time to travel the world Bonnie. I think you never know what life is going to throw at you....and mid life crisis is an apt term many of my contemparies are deeply into parent or elder care, and it affects your routine sometimes completely. I never returned to live in America as my Mother was ill. I had a Dizzy by then so that was OK. The extra things you deal with 40 plus can be difficult. Of a circle of 20+ friends 8 have died,including two godparents! We are free of parent care now which also means we have no grandparent support.
Approaching 50 and hearing of people who die in their 60's is hard when you think of the previous 15 years.
I keep my life less full now, sort of allowing room for spares in the event of a crisis that means we have to change direction, or get huge sudden demands on our time itsa easier to cope with.
There no point in wishing a change of the past but a realisation of a life span that falls short of immortality. You have some control in terms of healthy eating and looking both ways before you cross the road BUT you have very little and almost no control over your own or loved ones or friends and neighbors fate. You are neither young nor old. You are mid- life and you see fore and aft more clearly, sometimes it feels alittle overwhelming and some of us get busy and some of us get comfier slippers and some do a bit of both dependent on the weather!
17-11-2004, 01:58 PM
I don't know if I went through a bit of a mid life crisis a while ago. Nothing major but all my thought patterns went very strange.

It was after having my second son, and we had both decided that we weren't going to have anymore kids.
I started thinking, ok my child rearing days are over, next is bringing them up, then they leave home, then its old age, then I die!
I started thinking about death quite a bit. I know I'm strange. I think it was my, as Sheoque put it brilliantly above, realisation of a life span that falls short of immortality. I am not going to be around for ever. Then I started thinking how the kids would cope when I'm gone, would I be remembered, blah, blah, blah.

I wasn't majorly depressed or anything but my mind just thought about this for a while.
After a while, I just realised that there are different stages in my life and I've just entered another one.

Now I don't really think about it much. I just enjoy the life that I have now.
I guess thats all I can do.

One thing I do remember my husband saying is about life after death. In that the life you give your children is your life when you have gone. In your children there is part of you still carrying on, just as part of me includes my parents and grandparents etc.

OK, thats enough of being deep, I'm off to tell you all what I'm having for tea:laugh:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  So how can we breathe life into SO? Northern angel 9 1,238 31-10-2007 11:15 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  Real life Pet Rescue! Dolores 17 1,567 05-06-2007 05:42 PM
Last Post: Figaro
  Incredible Circle of Life video Seabreeze 6 1,086 27-05-2007 08:42 PM
Last Post: PJ
  Race For Life!! Bella 26 2,305 08-03-2007 10:17 AM
Last Post: La Freak
  Life Insurance and other morbid things ... Bonsai 23 2,588 27-02-2007 04:11 PM
Last Post: msgirl
  Life has taught me... Fee For All 29 2,016 19-08-2006 08:36 AM
Last Post: msgirl
  Andrea - has she ruined your life? Coastie 22 1,667 19-04-2006 12:04 PM
Last Post: Seabreeze
  Discover your past life jaycee 9 1,052 29-08-2005 10:42 AM
Last Post: Patsy
  Quirks of NZ life - and 'abroad' in general Voice of reason 69 3,376 02-07-2005 05:04 PM
Last Post: sayangmouse
  Changing your chosen path in life Crystal Lights 7 966 21-06-2005 10:08 AM
Last Post: Bella