Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Hollywood films should come with a health warning
03-10-2005, 03:40 PM

... says a new study...

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health_...316693.ece

Quote:The biggest box office hits of the last 20 years are accused today of promoting unsafe sex and drug use, putting the health of their global audiences at risk.

Films such as Basic Instinct, American Pie and the James Bond movie Die Another Day showed frequent acts of sex between new partners who never give a thought to birth control or the risk of HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases...

Basic Instinct, released in 1992, starred Sharon Stone whose character seduces the detective investigating her for murder. It included six episodes of sexual intercourse between new and married partners in which no condoms, no birth control measures and no health consequences were shown...

In 98 per cent of the sex scenes studied - 53 episodes in 87 of the films - no form of birth control was used...

Drug use featured less commonly than casual sex but it too was shown without damaging effects. Just 8 per cent of the films showed cannabis and 7 per cent other illicit non-injected drugs, always in a positive or neutral light. Scenes of drunkenness appeared in a third of the films and smoking featured in two thirds.

So James Bond doesn't use birth control, and Basic Instinct doesn't emphasise the health risks inherent in casual sex (well, apart from being murdered horribly...) :laugh:

Is there a serious point to this? Does Hollywood just reflect our culture, or does it play a role in shaping people's views? Does this Dr Gunasekera need to get a life? And most importantly of all, how does one get to have a job that requires you to study sex scenes for a living? Smile

Mick Smile
No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts

For topical debate and vitriolic mudslinging DON'T visit: http://www.greatworlddebate.com cos it's a dead link.

INSTEAD visit http://greatworlddebate.net/gwdsmf/index.php
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2005, 07:00 PM
I may be off track with this, but the film se7en really should, for my sake, have come with a warning --and Blue Velvet ---a few more horror/surreal films. I am all for choice and wide tastes - my only gripe is if I had known what the films had contained I would have made the choice to not go and see. Saved myself from disturbed dreams and anxiety.

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things
03-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Ooo I love Se7en.... Cool

Anyway...I know that the reason why Bond doesn't smoke anymore is because the anti-smoking office argued he should set a better example....however they were not best pleased when he smoked a cuban cigar in 'Die Another Day' but the producers explained that when in Cuba a spy would look out of place if he didn't smoke a cigar!

Maybe the other lobbies for safe sex etc can take some advice from the anti-smoking lobby!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2005, 01:14 PM
Coastie Wrote:Anyway...I know that the reason why Bond doesn't smoke anymore is because the anti-smoking office argued he should set a better example....
LOL I didn't realise that Bond had already fallen victim to PC! Smile So perhaps if they could show him putting on a condom before each romantic encounter, and visiting the VD clinic every month for a scan, it'd help reinforce safe sex messages too. Perhaps he could even get one of these silver rings and commit to abstinence before marriage???

Mick Smile
No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts

For topical debate and vitriolic mudslinging DON'T visit: http://www.greatworlddebate.com cos it's a dead link.

INSTEAD visit http://greatworlddebate.net/gwdsmf/index.php
06-10-2005, 07:01 AM
I don't mind if there is a little (or a lot!) of sex it movies... :laugh:
06-10-2005, 07:56 AM
tonee Wrote:--and Blue Velvet ---

One of my favourite films. I love David Lynch films. They're so ****ed up. Definitely not for the young or faint hearted, though.
06-10-2005, 08:58 AM
JakeyBoy Wrote:I don't mind if there is a little (or a lot!) of sex it movies... :laugh:

I don't mind the sex or the bad language but I do object to violence and sloppy noisy kissing ... both are just not (a) necessary (b) true to life!!

I always want to cheer if I see someone on tv or in film smoking. it is a fact people smoke, they still smoke even though none of their "heroes" on tv or film do. for the record I am a non-smoker as in never started, but I just think it's not true to life to NEVER see people smoking on tv ... the only people who seem to smoke on tv are rich or macho blokes and they only smoke cigars or if it is a woman it's your Waynetta Slob type.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
06-10-2005, 09:06 AM
Dolores Wrote:if it is a woman it's your Waynetta Slob type.

She was modelled on me ya know Tongue

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
06-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Bonsai Wrote:She was modelled on me ya know Tongue

I've met you Bonnie ... I'm not going to argue! :laugh:

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
06-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Dolores Wrote:I don't mind the sex or the bad language but I do object to violence and sloppy noisy kissing ... both are just not (a) necessary (b) true to life!!

I always want to cheer if I see someone on tv or in film smoking. it is a fact people smoke, they still smoke even though none of their "heroes" on tv or film do. for the record I am a non-smoker as in never started, but I just think it's not true to life to NEVER see people smoking on tv ... the only people who seem to smoke on tv are rich or macho blokes and they only smoke cigars or if it is a woman it's your Waynetta Slob type.

What's wrong with the kissing?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  NHS: Global health care gatubela 2 522 28-04-2006 04:06 PM
Last Post: Coastie