Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are women often represented in film roles via their sexuality?............
13-09-2005, 01:30 PM

often i believe that women are given the same particular roles in films. For instance these characters can come under the headings of
(1) Mothers i.e family members

(2) villain via use of her sexuality

(3) Father/daughter roles

most of all i believe that even when the female women is given the dominant role of a particular film it is the use of her sexuality which is used and admired. For instance even a film like Tomb raider where the actress Angelina Jolie plays the dominant role of Lara Croft. i have found that when a female actress is playing the role of a more contrast character from the usual feminine delicate woman that she still has to use her sexuality in order for the character to work. such as the character Lara croft may be an action heroine yet she is mostly sponsored for her perfect figure. for instance the whole deal with lara croft was about how angelina jolie was to be playing the dominant role of the perfect figured woman not that she was going to be playing the role of a dominant action heroine.
overall i believe that woman do not mostly play the dominant role of films unless the use of their sexuality as in being seductive is present. other wise this is very rare.

i would like to know the opinions of other members if you agree or disagree, if you know of any films which compare to this or contrast from it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2005, 01:50 PM
unique_c Wrote:often i believe that women are given the same particular roles in films. For instance these characters can come under the headings of
(1) Mothers i.e family members

(2) villain via use of her sexuality

(3) Father/daughter roles

i would like to know the opinions of other members if you agree or disagree, if you know of any films which compare to this or contrast from it.

Well you aint gonna get "the daddy" playing "the mommie" are you :laugh:

and what about when the male "villain" uses his sexuality as in Sawyer in Lost :wub: :naughty: Ok, I know its not a movie, but similar! He OOOOOZES sex to me!!!

And quite frankly, I prefer to have something easy on the eye to perv over when I watch a movie.....Johnny Depp, Vin Diesel, Brad Pitt - bring it on!! I was gutted in the last Bond movie as there was nothing worth a perv! So us girls are as bad as the men really!!!!

I guess I have never thought about it, but then I can be quite shallow :laugh:

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
13-09-2005, 03:13 PM
unique_c Wrote:overall i believe that woman do not mostly play the dominant role of films unless the use of their sexuality as in being seductive is present. other wise this is very rare.

Kathy Bates in Misery did not use her sexuality and neither was she seductive! She was off her bloomin' trolley! :shocking:

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-09-2005, 03:38 PM
So would you agree that women often have to use their sexuality more than men when playing the dominant role. Even when being sexual and seductive may be of a contrast to the role of the character.

i.e Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft in Tomb Raider

also i have taken note that there are some films where women do not use their sexuality whilst playing the dominant role of the film.........................................But this can be very rare..!!!!!!!!............

Thats another thing ...........why is it rare to see a woman playing a dominant role without using her sexuality..................
13-09-2005, 05:25 PM
unique_c Wrote:So would you agree that women often have to use their sexuality more than men when playing the dominant role. Even when being sexual and seductive may be of a contrast to the role of the character.

i.e Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft in Tomb Raider

well she IS gorgeous isnt she........I'd give her one :w00t: and Sharon Stone - if I were "that way inclined" that is :devil:

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
13-09-2005, 05:30 PM
what an interesting thought Unique.

Actually as I read your 1st post the film that sprung to mind was 'Thelma and Louise'. Now I suppose that could be argued that Susan Sarrandon and Gina [god I cannot remember her surname] used their sexuality in parts of the film.

But as a whole the film celebrated 'female' independence of male input, and the male input was always in an inferior role - sex object, murder victim, somineering husband.

I haven't seen Tomb Raider - so I cannot comment on Angelina Jolie's character.

But I am not sure that ALL women, portray a 'sexual' object?

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

14-09-2005, 09:19 AM
well so far i'd like to thank every1 for their feed back............. Big Grin

Now my only question is

Why do you think it is that women have to use their sexuality in order to play the dominant / serious role in films?

:unsure:

Do you think it could possibly be a gender issue of how the media
represents women ?
14-09-2005, 05:18 PM
unique_c Wrote:well so far i'd like to thank every1 for their feed back............. Big Grin

Now my only question is

Why do you think it is that women have to use their sexuality in order to play the dominant / serious role in films?

represents women ?

I would say its to help out the poor men who produce the movies - we have to keep it relatively simple for them dont we :wacko: :laugh: :devil:

14-09-2005, 07:51 PM
unique_c Wrote:well so far i'd like to thank every1 for their feed back............. Big Grin

Now my only question is

represents women ?

You know Unique I am not sure that the media are to blame or are the 'bad guys' here. Women are perfectly capable of using their sexuality without the aid of a camera or a journalist/tv crew - to wile the unsuspecting male. And I probably think that, the media long ago cottoned onto this fact.

I think the women themselves have no one else to blame [if blame is being laid] than the fickle creatures that we are!

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

15-09-2005, 01:38 AM
Women start using thier 'wiles' as soon as they figure out they have them. Especially the ones who society hold up as examples of the beauty norm, as if there is such a thing. I think everyone should be appreciated for their brains, personality , and overall disposition as a person. Not Barbie or Ken replicas. In movies, and in real life. So many people are deluded by unreachable goals put out by movies and magazines, etc. :ranting:

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What's the last film you watched? Coastie 1,335 76,633 02-03-2008 06:20 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  Bad film awareness Ziller 26 3,625 15-01-2007 12:44 PM
  How important is a film's soundtrack to you? PJ 15 2,021 08-01-2007 02:28 PM
  Film Wrongs... Coastie 13 1,892 10-09-2006 05:40 PM
  take out the "whats the last film you saw" thread IsLe Of WeAtHeR 6 925 19-07-2006 11:40 PM
Last Post: Groucho
  Parents 6 year behind Film club is open.. IsLe Of WeAtHeR 1 588 20-03-2006 09:31 AM
Last Post: IsLe Of WeAtHeR
  What is the film? Bella 7 1,335 15-08-2005 06:58 PM
  Film reminders Dolores 7 1,582 24-04-2005 07:18 AM
  film quotes Woodstock 47 5,450 21-04-2005 06:36 PM
Last Post: Gelastic
  Baddies on film tonee 12 2,328 14-03-2005 10:17 AM
Last Post: Bella