Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can't the British handlle a drink?
27-10-2006, 07:38 AM

The latest demand is to increase the tax on alcohol to "stop binge drinking".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6089784.stm

Just how is that going to stop people being idiots? It may stop some who cant afford it, but unless they double the price of drinks, is it really going to stop the binge drinkers? Also how is that fair on those who drink in moderation, why should they pay more?

Surely this is a social problem, not a financial one and as such needs a social solution. People in France don't get plastered and do stupid things every weekend, at least not in the numbers that the british do, why is that?

What is is about the british that makes so many always drink with the sole idea of getting drunk?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2006, 07:05 PM
New Labour (Nanny State) Wrote:Put up tax on alcopops, Hewitt urges Brown

So, because perhaps 5-10% of the population have a tendency to binge drink, the government thinks the solution is to penalise the other 90-95% with higher taxes (already the highest in Europe on alcohol).

What the hell is wrong with this Government that they are hell bent on issuing policy from the lowest common denominator upwards, rather than the other way round?

Treat the entire population like naughty school kids and what do you suppose you'll end up with?

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
27-10-2006, 08:23 PM
It's not going to happen - It's only the view of one member of the govenment - and she has little or no support on the matter. So don't worry!!

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Rob Wrote:It's not going to happen - It's only the view of one member of the govenment - and she has little or no support on the matter. So don't worry!!

I'm not worried Rob!

Merely perplexed at the way New Labour seems to believe that central intervention is the solution to all of societies problems!

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
27-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Part of the problem lies in kids having too much money at their disposal. When I was younger half my wages went to my mum for my keep I couldn't have afforded to binge drink even if I wanted to.

Teenagers are living at home all expenses paid by their parents and if they are working only paying a small ammount towards their keep, if any. This leaves them plenty to spend on booze.

One of the lads where I work doesn't even pay his canteen bill, his mum, who also works there, comes and pays it for him and I know she doesn't charge him any keep either.

I know times have changed and with two parents working they don't need the extra money coming in but it doesn't prepare the kids for the time when they have to branch out on their own and budget their money.
28-10-2006, 12:55 AM
Maxwad is right. The reason we have a drink problem in Britain is that youngsters have to much money at there disposal and parents who are soft touches who don't expect them to donate to the household kitty. So they eat the larder out, burn up electricity, gas, use the phone, and also have the addition of free services of ironing, washing, personal nurse maid, domestic cleaner errand runners all for free.

Whatever income source these young people have they should be contributing a weekly fortnightly or monthly amount for there board and keep. After all one day in the bigger world they will not find it so easy to take advantage of a landlord or shared situation where people agree to split bills whilst in lodgings.

Another issue here is that young people have no concept of how to really handle money, it has become the done thing that they expect to be able to spend what incomes they have without contributing to the house. Some men won't even contribute to the upbringing of there children, and they walk away.

I don't think the answer lies in puting up prices of drink as this penalises those who do enjoy a drink who are not guilty of loutish behaviour on the streets, or expecting the government to step in to legislate for responsibility. Such as penalising the publican, when it is his business to sell alcohol.

I do think however it is reasonable to expect a public service from the policing authorities to remove from the street drunks who could cause damage to property, themselves or others. So that the streets can be reclaimed for the benefit of decent citizens who know how to behave.

My own local authority had a three stroke system in operation for years which was successful. But in todays age of political correctness it is regarded as wrong.People who were thus drunk, disordely and trouble some were picked up a maximum of three times and housed in a cell for 6 hours or so and then released however on the third time they'd be charged. The magistrates court had the jurisdiction to fine, issue good behaviour orders, or sentence an individual to a spell of community service with immeditate affect. In some cases an individual could well find themselves barred from drinking in pubs hotels and restaurants, until they could prove they could behave in a responsible fashion.

Maureen
NORTHERN ANGEL.

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
01-11-2006, 01:10 PM
I haven't been on this MB for AGES but I am trying to get back in...
The fact is that in most countries, wine / drinks are associated with food so the idea of sitting drinking for hours after dinner is completely alien. Also drinks are sipped slowly so all of his cuts down the alcohol overload. I drink in the evenings BTW but am not a drunken lout so feel I can comment. Problem is the idea of going out to get 'bladdered' has become a norm for many girls and guys rather than a rare slip , perhaps at a special occasion. yes, the fact that these people clearly have a lot of disposable income has an effect - do they get their parents to bring them home , or can they all afford taxis? Parents do seem to be much more indulgent these days - wonder why - do they want to keep their kids dependent and at home with them?
Anyway, drunkeness is not 'hot' just makes proceedings easier - perhaps that should be the message??