Why don't new people join in....
01-08-2005, 05:21 PM

hey new guys! (not all of you) but some of you go to all the trouble of registering and joining our board and then never ever post anything or else just a response in your introduction threads!

I'm always curious as to why so many people give up after registering and just become dormant! ... surely Cat's goats are that off putting? ... are they?!

Have any of the more active members ever joined any other boards and not posted anything?

I have to admit I have. I joined a "festival" website and I don't think I posted anything on there. I'm not even sure why I joined ... I was probably drunk!!! aha maybe that's it, the new people register whilst under the influence and then sober up and never come back!

Haydon maybe you should introduce a drug or alcohol test for joiners!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2005, 05:52 PM
DOLORES HOW COULD YOU!!!! My goats are lovely and very becoming, I'm sure a new person finds them comforting and guiding. However I have stopped posting pictures from my Attractive Cheese Album in the introduction thread as newbies really could get the wrong idea there. Flash a wedge of good sturdy, blue veined stilton with an aroma that brings tears to your eyes and you really could be in trouble.

This does not answer your question though does it, it is one I have mused over many a time. I just suggest we keep on with our lovely introductions and hope for the best.

I am extremely interested about the Festival Site you joined...have you got the link.
01-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Cat Wrote:I am extremely interested about the Festival Site you joined...have you got the link
Please, please, please, if you have any kind feelings towards me don't give her the link to the site........
Find all posts by this user
01-08-2005, 10:19 PM
I wonder too Dol - but as I have registered and never psoted on two sites - I can hardly call the kettle black. I can't even remember what they were now - but obviously took my fancy during or after alcohol - what was I saying??

No idea but yeah!!

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

07-08-2005, 10:01 AM
This is a widespread problem for most general dicussion forum's. Because the community is already well formed, it can be quite difficult for new people to integrate themselves.

But, we do have an advantage over a lot of other forums in that SO - as well as being a community - does actually have a focus. Reality TV! And I've noticed that the newbies who do post are the ones who join to discuss a particular Show. They will get a rapport going with other members in those specific discussion threads and then sometimes, they will venture into other areas of the forum. Once the programme ends, about half of them will disappear altogether, but some of them stay and become regular posters on the site.

Of course, there are exceptions to this. Some of our membership are former GD'ers - others have been introduced by members, but in the main, we get new members via the TV discussion threads.

But - just like many, many other sites, we rarely get people who just stumble across the site and start posting. And when they do, they are either ignored initially, or treated with suspicion (just like on other forums!), which is hardly encouraging.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
07-08-2005, 02:51 PM
It probably seems like a good idea at the time (in an advanced state of tipsiness, perhaps, as aforementioned). I joined one just so that I could taunt and ridicule, but soon got bored. Has anyone else been on Stardust. :bag:
07-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Patsy Wrote:I joined one just so that I could taunt and ridicule, but soon got bored.

Did you really?

I imagine there's people who just go around joining loads of forums and then get bored. Shocking as it may seem, some people may find SO dull.

I find places that have loads of active members constantly posting, too much as things move too quickly. We seem to gather the odd few here and there who choose to stay. It's always nice when someone who posts in a partcualr TV thread joins in with the other stuff.
07-08-2005, 06:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2005 06:04 PM by Patsy.)
Maxine Wrote:Did you really?

I did. I know others did too, but maybe I'm the only one stupid enough to admit it.

Must have been in a particularly b!tchy mood. I blame Mr P. :bag:
07-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Patsy Wrote:I joined one just so that I could taunt and ridicule

That was the way I started, but it's strange the way you get sucked in, isnt it?

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
07-08-2005, 10:01 PM
I joined here for a laugh. I joined the other one for the other reason. I would never do that here. Wouldn't dare!:bag: