Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is it OK for women to hit men?
22-11-2008, 02:04 PM

Have you ever noticed that, in popular culture, its socially acceptable for men to get hurt by women, but if a man ever hits a women he's automatically a villain?

Example; remember that song from a few (well, more than a few) years back by Alisha's Attic, "I Am I Feel?" Now, that song contained the line "I feel like I wanna smash his face in (yeah, that'd be fun)." And it was a fluffy, sugary pop song that got used in commercials and the soundtrack to 100 chick flicks.

Now, imagine a couple of GUYS singing a song like that, with the line "and I feel like I wanna smash HER face in (yeah, that'd be fun)." It wouldn't even be allowed to get released, never mind be the soundtrack to a thousand dullard's dinner parties.

And then in most sitcoms/comedies there's always a scene where some cheating guy gets kicked in the balls. Big laugh, right? So why can't a guy kick a girl in the crotch? And how many men get slapped on TV to little or no consequence? And yet if a man slaps a women he's a wife beater.

Anyone else find these double standards annoying?

Don't abuse children, or else they'll turn out like me.
http://www.thecurmudgeon.proboards88.com - The site to save your life.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Not sure why these double standards exist but they do. At the moment I work somewhere where 90% of the employees are women. When a new bloke starts the sexual comments the women make about him would make your hair curl - this includes the female managers. Any bloke making the same comments about a woman would be chucked out!

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
22-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Similar with clothes in movies - post-coital woman walking round in his shirt is OK; post-coital man in her silk blouse would look a bit odd.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
22-11-2008, 02:36 PM
[Image: prince.jpg]

He looks good to me.

24-11-2008, 10:29 AM
It must be a very big person who feels they warrant the right to hit women.

I am impressed.

The ironic thing about life is that no one gets out alive...Huh
24-11-2008, 11:22 PM
And yet again the moron who is seemingly ignoring me comments on a thread I made. This guy is a genius. If, by genius, you mean complete ****ing retard.

Anyway, I never said I wanted to hit women you pompous buffoon. I was asking why is it socially acceptable for women to hit men?

Sorry, I'm not talking about a guy from Blue being in a jungle, so this thread has obviously been too much for you.

25-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Please do not use personal insults - you can argue your point without doing that.

Just to clarify - I think that the expressions - "complete ****ing retard" and "pompous buffoon" are completely uncalled for - just because Slipper is ignoring you doesn't give you the right to stoop to these sort of insults.

Have a nice day!

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
26-11-2008, 07:49 AM
Hey, I'm trying to start a genuine conversation and he misses the point of the entire thread and then tries to make me sound like a wife beater. Frankly, I think I was the picture of restraint.

29-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Like SF, I'm not sure I know why the double standard exists. It's not only within the music and film industry either. A wife beater is often viewed with more contempt and dealt with more seriously in law than a husband beater. And it annoys me because I think that if women really want to be treated as equals than they should be treated that way in all areas of life. It is wrong to hit anyone, and it doesn't matter if it is a man hitting a woman, a woman hitting a man or two people of the same sex hitting each other. It doesn't matter what the gender of the people involved. If one person treats another with violence, there is the potential to cause harm and injury.

I think media still pussyfoot around women for historical reasons. Women fought for equality over 100 years ago, and it is really only in relatively recent history that womens rights have been truly established. As recently as the 1970's, it was still seen as somewhat socially acceptable for a man to hit his wife. In popular novels and films of that era it was not unusual for a man to be shown hitting a woman, and they were not always displayed as villians when doing so.

The fight for equality has raged for decades and some would say that true equality has still not been achieved. Whilst that might be true in some cases, on the whole I personally would disagree with that. I truly think that women nowdays have the opportunity to stand on a par with men in most areas of life. Their gender may be a disadvantage in some cases and they may have to prove themselves a bit more to overcome that, but if enough women do it, then over time their gender will cease to be an issue. But I really believe that if women want true equality, then they have to be prepared to sacrifice the benefits of being seen as the "weaker sex". And that will mean that it should be seen as being equally unacceptable for a woman to hit a man as vice versa.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
29-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Do you know what really irritates me? And this may come across as very ungentlemanly, but never mind.

When I go for a night out in a mixed sex group, and the men have jackets on, and the women go out with hardly anything. And then at the end of the night, they insist on taking out jackets off of us, because they are cold.

I usually refuse, I thought about taking a jacket, and paid the cloakroom costs myself. Therefore, that jacket is mine to use, not yours to take off of me!

Am I just a heartless b*stard?

You're not born lazy, it's an acquired skill

[Image: pot004.gif] [Image: egg03064.gif][Image: 90725.gif][Image: 79735.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Women are bigger wimps than men - it's official! Blink 53 4,228 25-01-2006 08:32 PM
Last Post: bustywench
  Women & Children First.......or should it? Bella 10 1,601 07-09-2005 07:03 AM
Last Post: JakeyBoy
  The Jury ... 12 good men (or women) and true... Dolores 13 1,816 30-08-2005 06:59 AM
Last Post: sayangmouse
  Memo to Women in the Gym... isleofweather 17 2,185 27-06-2005 05:19 PM
Last Post: Flip
  Women and the Church Becks 14 2,067 19-02-2005 12:12 PM
Last Post: Becks
  The Wise Women? Eternity 7 1,413 12-12-2004 08:45 PM
Last Post: karenh