Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wills
18-08-2005, 08:48 PM
Wills

Have you made a will?

I haven't but would like to, the tricky part is getting Mr M to agree to do this. However many times I ask him he just shrugs it off. His father died soon after making his and this is the sticking point with him he sort of has a phobia about it.

So any ideas on how I can talk him round. I have tried telling him that should one of us die the other would not automatically get all of the estate as after a certain ammount the children can claim.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2005, 11:10 PM
Wills
Hummm tricky one Maz, I'd be inclined to make an appointment and then ask him to come with you, if he won't, then you could at least go alone and sort out your own wishes.

We both have wills, but we have been talking about them again as currently (should anything happen to Mr V and myself) Sam and Ellie would have to return to the UK to live with relatives and they have both said that ideally they would like to stay in New Zealand. I have a good friend here who generously offered to watch over them should we cop it before they turn 16, but it's just too much to ask, so at the moment we are just leaving things as they stand and praying that we don't die in the next two years! :unsure:
19-08-2005, 07:26 AM
Wills
mazwad Wrote:Have you made a will?

No I haven't Maz, it is something I have never got around to.
19-08-2005, 07:40 AM
Wills
I have had a Will since I bought my first house when I was 23. It has been changed many times, primarily when the children came along.

I have been on the recieving end of a Will 'going wrong' and know how very very important it is to get it 'right', for the sake of those who you leave behind.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-08-2005, 08:29 AM
Wills
I havent made a will, and i dont really know if someone in my position would need one. When we bought out current house the solicitor wrote it into the ....... i dont know what it was, but basically that if one of us died the house would automatically go to the one left.

I always thought as well that should we both die, the house / money etc would go to my mum as we havent got children. Im more than happy with this, as is Mr.B so do i need to make a will ?

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
19-08-2005, 08:46 AM
Wills
Bonnie I think you should still make a will leaving it all to your mum if thats what you want. Just because 'everybody knows' thats what you want, doesn't mean it will happen.

We have wills, primarily so that the children go to my sister should anything happen to us - lucky girl :laugh: and the house is sold to pay for their upkeep, However, I have made my brother the trustee of the money so that it can't be wasted (not that she would) - so two people are looking out for my boys.
19-08-2005, 09:04 AM
Wills
Buzz Wrote:Bonnie I think you should still make a will leaving it all to your mum if thats what you want. Just because 'everybody knows' thats what you want, doesn't mean it will happen.

No - you misunderstand me. If we both die, and we havent children, i thought by law the money would go to the womans next of kin, who would be my mum. And we are happy with this. Its not a case of us telling people what we want, i thought it was the way it HAD to be.

19-08-2005, 09:23 AM
Wills
Bonsai Wrote:No - you misunderstand me. If we both die, and we havent children, i thought by law the money would go to the womans next of kin, who would be my mum. And we are happy with this. Its not a case of us telling people what we want, i thought it was the way it HAD to be.

I am not sure..blink would be the best person, but I don't think it is a simple as that. If you have any other living relatives, or Mr B does, I think they could come in and contest the what was left to you mum....saying that you had said they should have it if you died.....

I could be talking complete bolloxs here....... :unsure:
19-08-2005, 09:27 AM
Wills
Buzz Wrote:I am not sure..blink would be the best person, but I don't think it is a simple as that. If you have any other living relatives, or Mr B does, I think they could come in and contest the what was left to you mum....saying that you had said they should have it if you died.....

I could be talking complete bolloxs here....... :unsure:

No - you might well be right. Luckily none of my family give two hoots about money (although people often can 'turn' when something tragic happens in a family). I would like to do a will as i have one of two very expensive items of jewlery (sp) - about £10k worth, that i would like my nieces to have.

19-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Wills
Might be an idea then Bons. I don't think you even have to go to a solicitor to do it. I heard you can even do them online.

Of course I could be talking complete Buzz here! :laugh:

bam bam