Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wireless Network
21-05-2005, 10:43 AM
Wireless Network

I have a feeling young Blink may be able to help with this.

When I log on to my computer, it always brings up TWO available wireless networks. One is my own (which is a secured connection) and one I don't recognise (which is an unsecured connection). The unsecured connection has a weak signal so I assume it must belong to the people next door (as we are on the end of a terrace).

Would I be correct in assuming this, and if I can connect to theirs, does that mean they can connect to mine? Or am I OK because my connection is secured?

Help! :wacko:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-05-2005, 10:59 AM
Wireless Network
I think it would be next doors Ceridwen. They havent protected it from being used elsewhere.

I dont know whether yours would be secure though - that part definately is for Blink.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
23-05-2005, 09:24 AM
Wireless Network
This is exactly the reason why I have avoided using a wireless network. I'm jumpy about Bluetooth too.

Yes, the other network you're seeing is almost certainly a neighbour's, and if you're so inclined, you could do some exploits (the hacker's term) using their PCs and internet connection, if you wanted to. Conversely, if your neighbours (or anyone else nearby for that matter) wanted to, they could at least make an attempt to hack into your wireless network. This is why cabled networks are generally much better than wireless (not to mention quicker).

If a hacker can access your network, then no matter how strong your security, your network is vulnerable. This is not something to be alarmed about though - most PCs in the world are connected to an accessible network, one way or another (usually via the internet). You simply need to ensure that you take appropriate security precautions.

I am not an expert in securing a wireless network, but >this article< looks as though it is reasonably thorough, and is written in layman's terms, so I would start there.

Unless you are running a server, it is advisable to keep your PC and network switched off when you are not using them, and to take extra precautions when storing or using sensitive information (such as online banking). Use high levels of encryption, and sensible, regularly changed passwords.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
25-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Wireless Network
Thanks for that Blink, I knew you would know the answer!

I do miss my cabled network, but sadly Mr C wanted it to be wireless....also the layout of our room means we can't put the PC where we want unless we go wireless. :sad:
25-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Wireless Network
Ceridwen Wrote:the layout of our room means we can't put the PC where we want unless we go wireless
What - no floorboards?! Big Grin

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
25-05-2005, 02:49 PM
Wireless Network
Padded cell :shutup:

Bollox to potplants
Find all posts by this user