Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wireless Networks - Help!
11-09-2006, 02:56 PM

I don't know if anyone can help me with this, but its driving me mad!

I've just moved into my student house for this year, and got my internet up and running, as you can tell.

I have bought a router and a wireless usb stick for my computer, so I have all the equipment I need.

However, when i try and install the software for the router (the thingy that sends the wireless signal to my computer upstairs) it asks for a password. But I don't know what password its asking for!

I bought the router in a special deal from Comet because somebody had brought it back, is it possible that they have changed the password and therefore I can't know what it is?

I don't think its asking me for a password for future use, because everytime I try and enter something, and press enter, it just goes back to the previous screen.

Any ideas?

You're not born lazy, it's an acquired skill

[Image: pot004.gif] [Image: egg03064.gif][Image: 90725.gif][Image: 79735.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Are you absolutely sure it's a password, and not the router wireless key?

If it is in fact the router wireless key, you can usually find it on a sticker on the router.

Or have you got through to an admin screen on the router which is prompting you for a username/password?

If it's the latter, the manual should tell you, although if I had to guess I'd go for admin/admin.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
11-09-2006, 03:15 PM
It instructs me to connect everything to each other, and then a window pops up saying please enter your password. There is no option for a username. I've tried admin, but that didn't work.

There was no manual with the router, but it came with it on cd. However, that only outlines how to install it without the normal setup. I've tried this also, but came to a stop when it asked for a password again, which is said should be admin, but wouldn't accept it when i put it in.

The only sticker on the router is a serial number and model number

11-09-2006, 03:55 PM
[QUOTE=Mars]
I bought the router in a special deal from Comet because somebody had brought it back, is it possible that they have changed the password and therefore I can't know what it is?[/QUOTE

That's probably it - if the manual says the p/w is admin but it doesn't work, it has been changed.

Is ther an option to restore factory settings? - you might be able to do this with a button on the router, or someotimes there's a little hole you have to push a paperclip in. If so that might restore the factory password 'admin'.

Otyherwise you could try contacting the manufacturer?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
11-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Cheers SF.

I think I've decided to take it back to the shop and get an exchange for a new one. I can't see a restore button, and I don't fancy ringing the manufacturers because I can only find the American number!

Thanks for your help anywhoSmile

12-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Mars, if you're still battling with it and want some help, post details of the make and model of the router?

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
12-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Best option - I've had enough stress caused by our router as it is, not worth trying to make do with one where you haven't got the manual etc!

Good luck with the one you end up with

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Wireless Broadband PJ 21 1,735 12-02-2007 04:27 AM
Last Post: Slipper
  Free Wireless Internet gatubela 12 2,505 15-04-2006 04:45 AM
Last Post: gatubela