Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wisdom teeth....
14-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Wisdom teeth....

A pure evolutionary disaster, that's what they are!
I am getting my first one (yes, my first one!) through right now and it is killing me. I can't believe how painful it is! The gum around it is all inflamed and infected (which is called pericoronitis to anyone who's intrested...) and food keeps getting stuck under it so as you can imagine, it smells!
Think I should get it extracted. Incidentally, my sister took an X-ray of me and it seems that the other 3 won't be coming in for a while or maybe not at all.
So, has anyone else had this displeasure?

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-05-2005, 11:21 AM
Wisdom teeth....
I have never had a wisdom tooth and I think it is unlikely that I will get any now. I mustn't be very wise.

My sister though had terrible trouble with hers. Pain, swelling etc. She had to have two of them extracted by an operation is hospital! I'm not sure what was so bad about hers that the dentist couldn't do it though.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
14-05-2005, 11:23 AM
Wisdom teeth....
Yup. Been there, PJ. Horrible.

I was going to be away from dental facilities for a while just after they started playing up so I went into hospital for two days and got rid of them all at once. Came out looking like a hamster with two black eyes, but what was worse was that one of our neighbours was a nurse there, and I woke up with a blue ribbon tied in a pretty bow round my willie. :mad2:

The moral of my story is: dentist, heal thyself - but do it where the ruddy nurses don't know you! :ninja:
14-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Wisdom teeth....
Mine have all come through and give me a bit of grief every once in a while but since I have such a huge gob the dentist is happy to leave them be! They don't do anything but sit at the back of my mouth collecting schmoo which means I have to use my flip top head to clean them twice a day! :bored:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
14-05-2005, 11:28 AM
Wisdom teeth....
PJ I had this too and the pain was absolutely horrendous.

I eventually had all four come through and so I went to hospital and had them all whipped out at once under local anaesthetic.

Yes I did look like a hamster, but believe me the discomfort of having them out paled into insignificance compared to the recurring infections (and believe me, they WILL recur).

Go on, get them out, you know you want to.
14-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Wisdom teeth....
It sounds like I got off lightly - I only got the pain!

Poor PJ :hug:
14-05-2005, 11:54 AM
Wisdom teeth....
Oooh spooky this thread cropping up (not that I am getting wisdom teeth at my age - lol) but I have pain in my jaw and I can't open it very wide. Tried to get a large spoonful of cereal into my gob this morning and winced with pain.

The thing is, the only other time that I've experienced the same thing was when my wisdom teeth were coming through in my 20's!! That was awful. I could hardly get my mouth open at all then and was "posting" squashy bits of food through the little gap and also having lots of soup.

When I went to my dentist his solution was to grab my top and bottom teeth and wrench my jaw open. Excruciating pain. He explained that as the fibres get inflamed and swollen the only way to release them is to literally tear them apart!!! As I recall it was only the one that gave me problems and he whipped it out (the tooth I mean).

Feel for ya PJ, hope you'll get shot of it soon (both the pain and the tooth).
14-05-2005, 11:59 AM
Wisdom teeth....
Ouch Crit.....I get the occasional lock jaw but thats apparently because I clench my teeth (not grind) in my sleep when stressed.....as a result the jaw muscles don't co-ordinate properly with each other and so from time to time...lock up...unfortunately when my gob is open...I can easily manipulate it closed but it can be quite sore at times and my jaw nearly always clicks and clunks! Blush

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
14-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Wisdom teeth....
I used to suffer from the lock jaw thing a lot, I had x- rays and they showed my ball was a bit small for the socket and kept slipping when I ate certain foods it was unbearable. I could only eat fillet steak never one of the cheaper cuts and apples were out of the question as was crusty bread. Going to the dentist was a nightmare with all the equipment they shove in there and quite often yawning set it off too.

I was told the problem would resolve itself as I got older and the joints stiffen and to a certain extent much to Mr M's delight it has.
Find all posts by this user
14-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Wisdom teeth....
Awwww Peej, im sorry to hear that, and Critique - ouch :wacko:

I was lucky. I only have two wisdom teeth and they didnt hurt when they came through at all.

I feel very sorry for you :wink2:

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Do you floss your teeth? Dolores 15 2,206 01-04-2008 04:01 PM
Last Post: ~ils~
  Words of wisdom. secrets 16 1,478 21-07-2006 01:20 AM
Last Post: msgirl
  Have your parents offered you words of wisdom? Dolores 6 1,180 18-12-2004 07:56 PM
Last Post: Cat