Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worrying Time Over Cat.
08-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Worrying Time Over Cat.

I have looked after my neighbours old little tabby cat for just on two years now. When she came to me, it was probably due to the fact that my neighbour had gone and bought herself a dog and having two sons who had just entered there teens playing loud music whenever possible, simply drove this little cat next door to me.

Of late the last ten days or so this little bundle that once was playful albeit at around 16 or 17 years of age then, is probably now 18 or 19 in human years, has started behaving rather oddly. Just sitting for ages staring at the wall, sitting in a clean litter tray to curl up rather than her pet bed, adopted a new sleeping area as close to the back door as possible. A few minutes ago she fell over into her milk. Poor mite just isn't herself. I have taken the gentle route to ridding her of fleas over the last three days combing them out with a herbal cat shampoo, and a course of gentle herbal worming tablets. So they are gone. Unfortunately had to treat the whole house to and my own cat was not to amused being treated either she's 16.

I have dropped a note through the neighbours door asking if its ok to go to the vet with her cat, only problem here is that I hope it's not some form of renal failure because there is no treatment bar one. Such a worry, I'd like to think it was unfounded as she is such a friendly little cat. Maybe I should stay positive and tell myself this is a reaction to one of the treatments.

You know I just don't know what to think, 5.30 pm can't come quick enough.

MAUREEN
NORTHERN ANGEL.

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2006, 12:23 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2006 12:31 PM by survivorfan.)
Worrying Time Over Cat.
What happens at 5:30? Is that when the neighbour gets home?

THe cat has to see a vet asap, but unless it's a case of life or death (cat not eating, not wanting to move from the spot) you should leave the responsibility of doing this with the neighbour (mind you, the falling into its milk is a very bad sign). If you take it upon yourself to take the cat to the vet you might end up paying the bill if the cat isn't insured. YOur choice though.

In my experience, if a cat is showing signs like this it should go to the vet the same day. If you know the cat is insured get it to the vet now.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
08-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Worrying Time Over Cat.
I agree with SF - I think the best thing would be to one way or another get the cat to the vets.
08-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Worrying Time Over Cat.
Yeah, the cat really does need to see a vet. Like SF said though, if you take the cat you will be lumbered with the bill. Are you happy about this ? Maybe the owner does have insurance, so really it should be their responsibility.

It sounds to me like the cat might have had a little stroke. Its an old cat, and loosing its balance and sleeping where ever it falls might mean a mild stroke is the reason. Or maybe she / he has a problem with their ears, maybe an infection effecting her balance ?

It really needs to be checked out though, and asap. I doubt its anything you have given her, ie. the worming tablets though.

It sounds like you have adopted this cat. Are you willing to foot the bill or to look after a cat that might need daily treatment ?

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Worrying Time Over Cat.
So, 5:30 came and went, what's happening with puss-puss?

08-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Worrying Time Over Cat.
| thought this was about me? Its not is it.

:w00t:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-09-2006, 09:44 PM
Worrying Time Over Cat.
If it was, I'd say have her put down and be done with it.

08-09-2006, 09:56 PM
Worrying Time Over Cat.
Cat Wrote:| thought this was about me? Its not is it.

:w00t:

Hi Cat nice to see you have you ben lurking all this time.
08-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Worrying Time Over Cat.
Like the others, I'd say vet asap. Cats with renal failure often dig holes for themselves to sit in, so this could relate to the litter tray sitting. If it is renal, you should make sure there is always fresh water available, and - according to my vets - milk is a bit of a no-no as many cats are lactose intolerant anyway, and the protein levels can be on the high side for kidney problems.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
09-09-2006, 12:41 AM
Worrying Time Over Cat.
A great big hug to all of you for being so very helpful.

Pussy is going to be alright for the time being.

I took her to the vets as I was sitting with the cat watching some really unusal behaviour. The last straw was trying to get in the oven.

Apparently she has ear mites and a nasty build up of wax in both ears. I'd missed this being concerned about the fleas I'd spied and her irritation with them, also the going off her food. Worming an older cat apparently is not good. So little mite had two reasons for being off balance.

The overall scenario for this truly lovable pussy though is that she does have other problems and these may get worse in the near future.

My neighbour who originally owned the cat for 16 years feels that if she does start having renal problems the best thing is to have her put to sleep, and save her the suffering.

MAUREEN
NORTHERN ANGEL

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What time did you have your bath last night? Mars 26 3,984 10-10-2008 11:31 AM
Last Post: Buzz
  Time to say goodbye. The Curmudgeon 81 5,844 28-05-2008 06:32 PM
Last Post: Isis
  Next time you go shopping.... Andrea 9 1,578 24-10-2006 09:54 AM
Last Post: MariaRob
  time for tea! mikado 15 1,514 26-08-2006 09:19 PM
Last Post: Sammboelyn
  Day Time TV Bonsai 14 1,584 16-08-2006 05:31 PM
Last Post: Coastie
  Your first time... Coastie 12 1,665 15-06-2006 06:58 PM
Last Post: Coastie
  OK..I really am back this time.... Kittencat 19 1,632 07-12-2005 12:32 PM
Last Post: Kittencat
  When was the last time you had a "decent" ****? Patsy 24 1,515 05-09-2005 05:41 PM
Last Post: Rob
  You know you spend too much time on this site when... Dolores 43 2,369 21-08-2005 09:43 PM
Last Post: mazwad
  Time Line Therapy report Marmoset 11 1,235 07-07-2005 06:51 PM
Last Post: Marmoset