Yes, I don't agree with trade unions
Don't know
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you cross a picket line?
23-05-2005, 11:44 AM

The teachers at our school have decided to take strike action on Thursday to protest at some redundancies that are taking place at the end of the summer term.

The NUT have said that if the head closes the school, they will not picket (and save him the bad publicity), but he has decided that the school will stay open (although the kids will be sent home), which will mean that non-NUT staff will have to cross a picket line.

I'm very uneasy about it, to be honest and I really don't want to cross a picket line. I think he should close the school on a pretext and not put the rest of the staff in this position.

What would you do?

Bollox to potplants
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2005, 11:59 AM
Picket lines are just organised bullying.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-05-2005, 12:11 PM
It's very dangerous to mention the B word round these parts. :bag:

Why is it though? I think they have every right to protest at unfair treatment.

I dont want to go into all the details, but the school's finances have been very poorly managed and we are now massively in debt. 11 teaching posts and 8 admin posts are being cut to attempt to redress the defecit, whilst the two people with overall responsibility for the budget have got off seemingly scot free.

Bollox to potplants
23-05-2005, 12:31 PM
I have no problem with protesting, and tend to think that teachers are generally underpaid. BUT picket lines are inherently threatening. There is a big difference between a peaceful protest, and a line of people preventing you from going to your place of work (or heckling you if you get through). Picket lines do little to lift already flagging morale.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
23-05-2005, 12:32 PM
I have crossed a picket line before. I used to work for the then DHSS and our union went on strike. It was ok, although it wasn't very nice when 'friends' on the picket line made noises towards you. It's not nice being put in that position. I feel for you Floops.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
23-05-2005, 12:49 PM
They're not actually striking for more pay, they're protesting against the fact that teaching posts are being cut due to financial mis-management, and that the head is allegedly using the opportunity of compulsory redundancies to get rid of certain members of staff who he is unhappy with, despite that fact that they have had no ivolvement in the financial problems.

The admin staff decided not to strike on the reasoning that they would simply have twice as much work to do the following day, and whilst the NUT will be paying its striking members, other unions will not be able to pay their members who decide not to cross the picket line.

Most school admin staff are very poorly paid and simply cannot afford to lose a day's salary.

Bollox to potplants
23-05-2005, 01:10 PM
Floopy, I think you should be very careful of your stress levels, you being pregnant and all!

You're doing really well not to be weeping which could lead to some time off.

:bag:

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
23-05-2005, 01:19 PM
time off for weeping??? :laugh:

I want a legitimate day off to support my colleagues, that's not much to ask is it? :fireman:

Bollox to potplants
23-05-2005, 01:21 PM
No, but your stress levels will have a greater laxative effect on your boss...

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
23-05-2005, 01:24 PM
Congratulations on the pregnancy, I didn't no.

Tough one. I do believe in the power of the collective has a duty to stand up to things like this. As a member of NUT I would proably be on the picket line to make my point, but I would never heckle another, as it is for each person to make a decision based on their circumstances. To go in under these circumstances is tough and stressful, what are your colleagues thoughts?????

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Am I right to be cross? Fee For All 34 3,237 23-05-2005 01:42 PM
Last Post: Cockney