Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you let go of a dream for someone you love or a sense of duty?
22-11-2004, 11:42 PM

Would you go off knowing you may never see a close relative or friend alive again because they are elderly or ill. Would you cancel your dream or adventure?
Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2004, 11:55 PM
No dream is worth missing some one you love, and if they are dying there is no question, anyone who puts their dreams above the people they love will never find true happiness.
Find all posts by this user
23-11-2004, 01:23 AM
I think it would be situational for me. Of course I would try to be there if someone I cared about was going to die...but I also don't think one should sit around putting a complete stop on their life waiting for someone to die.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-11-2004, 01:25 PM
It would be situational for me too, but I'm inclined to agree with Islandman, you can't live your life for someone else and to be honest I doubt any of my loved ones would want me to.

I am shortly disappearing to the other side of the world and I know that there are some people who I am unlikely to see ever again so I have had to think about it. On the whole though my going isn't going to hurt anyone enough that it would ruin their lives, and after all, they have their own to live. I don't think we would alter our decision now, even if someone close did become chronically ill. In fact my Mum almost died 10 days ago, so I had to think about this one too.

I'm not sure that doing anything purely out of a 'sense of personal duty' is healthy anyway, there's always the chance that you'd do it and then feel resentful towards the object of your duty and doing anything purely for that reason probably isn't the right spirit to be doing it in in the first place....if that makes sense.
23-11-2004, 10:17 PM
Voice of reason Wrote:On the whole though my going isn't going to hurt anyone enough that it would ruin their lives

Little do you know, Voice...
[/font]
[font=Arial]cheerio!
27-11-2004, 10:48 AM
the way i interpreted this question was initially about the long-term boyfriend and moving away. this has been on my mind becaus of where i am with my life right now, graduation just round the corner and also i have a bf. so do i pursue jobs in faraway lands now? or be happy with something here? luckily for me, bf would like to move away too and get a bit of life experience - you know the whole moving out thing, and being somewhere where no one knows you and you have to start afresh kinda thing. so what im doing is taking a year or so out to save money, work full time, carry on with this topshop thing coz thats good for me career while he finishes uni.

what would i have done if he didnt want to move? now there is a question i wouldnt even like to ponder!! i would be very very stuck.

kookycat? she makes exceedingly good posts

[Image: pot002.gif]

[Image: egg03061.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  God is Love and Love is God isleofweather 56 4,492 14-06-2005 11:30 AM
Last Post: survivorfan
  How linked are love and hate? Dolores 5 1,091 06-02-2005 08:39 PM
Last Post: floopy