Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You are lucky if you can count your friends on one hand....
01-08-2005, 04:52 PM

What do you think of this phrase?
I am actually a firm believer, for myself, that I get to know many people on many different levels (which is great) but salt of the earth friends - they are a real find. I would notice this during times of illness when it is like a tidal change - light, fluffy friends disappear (sometimes shockingly) and the friends who are like rocks emerge, step out and stay steady until the crisis abates. So, yes I can count friends on the one hand, and I know who they are, and it's great.
You?

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2005, 04:57 PM
I need a sixth finger, but other than that I agree.

Guess that makes me very lucky :thumbsup:

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
01-08-2005, 05:23 PM
I am a firm believer too Tonee. It is in times of adversity that you find out who your true friends are.
01-08-2005, 05:26 PM
I have a handful of friends, about three of them I could rely on in a crisis, ie. if i was sick and someone had to look after my son etc. But to be honest I don't invest enough time in friends as I'm a very lazy person who prefers acquaintances to friends most of the time.

I always rely on my family for the really important things in life. Maxine and her husband have been an absolute rock on more than one occasion in my life.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-08-2005, 06:26 PM
tonee Wrote:You are lucky if you can count your friends on one hand....
Yeah, I reckon you're lucky. It means you have at least one hand, and you can count. Which is more than some can claim. Smile

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
01-08-2005, 07:13 PM
Blink Wrote:Yeah, I reckon you're lucky. It means you have at least one hand, and you can count. Which is more than some can claim. Smile

Not sure what you mean Blink? Smile

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things
01-08-2005, 08:17 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2005 08:30 PM by karenh.)
Of course the phrase is true! If true friendship were easy to come by, there would be less lonely people in the world. Real friendship takes a lot of investment and tends to develop over time and most people have more acquaintences than friends in their life for that reason. In fact, some people who have a seriously active social life don't actually have any "friends"!

I count myself lucky that I have 3 genuine friends (not including family members). And I count myself very unlucky that - for various reasons - I don't see them very often despite having quite a busy social life :sad:

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
01-08-2005, 08:23 PM
I have, not including family, 6 people I can count on in a crisis. One is a girl I have known for approx 30 years. We do not see each other regularly, we are very different & our lives are very different. We do not agree with all that each other does however if I needed her & vice versa, we would be there. Unequivocably. I have 2 friends that I know through Dave, a couple. They are 18 years older than me & have been there in the past as I have been for them. Then there is my mum's best friend & her husband. She is my adopted mum & refers to me & my sister as her adopted daughters & during a sticky patch my mum found herself in, I discovered that she is not only my mums friend but mine too which is quite nice. Lastly is her daughter in law who is quite simply one of the nicest, kindest people I know & I would do anything for her.

I'm usually thin & gorgeous - today is my day off
http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/egg03063.gif
01-08-2005, 10:16 PM
In my naivety I thought everyone who showed interest was a friend [yes a firend - I did spell it right in Flippy language]. The older I got I realised only those who were true to themselves and true to me were real friends.

I have one solid soul mate - and that is hubby. After that I have 6 suberbly excellent mates [that is girl mates] and 2 further mates [2 boy mates] - after that I have a small pool of good mates and then after that it is a melee of good fun and laughter mates.

Thing is the older you get - the more avenues of friends you develop. In my case, I have old mates, new mates, school mates, committee mates, village mates, pub mates, church mates, social mates and hopefully up and coming work mates.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

01-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Flip Wrote:...I have old mates, new mates, school mates, committee mates, village mates, pub mates, church mates, social mates and hopefully up and coming work mates.

:w00t: Forum mates! :bye:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  LCD screen that works by interpreting hand gestures carltoncary 2 1,342 06-01-2010 11:31 PM
Last Post: Gneiss
  Cold-and-stiff Hand Luke Fee For All 5 1,640 29-09-2008 09:47 AM
Last Post: Tigereye
  Holiday/Relationship/Friends dilemma. PJ 36 2,753 11-05-2006 09:26 PM
Last Post: Cat
  Meeting Friends tigger 13 1,731 21-06-2005 09:45 AM
Last Post: Bella
  Do you miss your old school friends? claire 49 3,759 12-04-2005 04:21 PM
Last Post: Patsy