Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your 5 Favourite books as a child
24-02-2005, 06:00 PM

I was a total book worm as a kid - i unfortunately dont seem to have as much time to enjoy a good back as i did back then...

what are your favourite childrens books - the ones that enthralled, enraptured and captured your imagination as a kid....

Mine were...

1. The Witches - Roald Dahl....i read that book when i was about seven and imo i was mesmorised - it was so vivid - so scarey and waht a fabulous concept - bald, square toed witches walking around as ordinary women, i just love this book

2. The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe - CS Lewis....i think this book is just absolutely magical... i must have read it a hundred times, the evil white witch, the heroic Aslan...magic

3. Matilda - Roald Dahl...i read this book when i was about 10 and just loved it. It is so clever and terribly funny...a great book for girls

Nothing stands out as clearly iand vividly in my memory as those three but if I were to pick another two..

4. A Christmas Carol ....not a children's book per say but i read it as a kid of about 10 and i just thought it was just magical

5. Danny the chanpion of the world - Roald dahl....i was a big RD fan!!!

I also used to love the Ramona Quimby books they were cool!

What are yours????

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>&quot;Work is the curse of the drinking classes&quot;</span></span>
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2005, 06:30 PM
Great thread CL Smile

1) Heidi - I wanted to be her! To enjoy goats milk and skip barefoot through the mountains and sleep under a patchwork quilt in the wooden loft of my grandfather's house. You can see how this would appeal to the child of a Belfast born alcoholic father who was handy with his fists can't you? Pure escapism... and I loved it.

2) Charlotte's Web - Magical. I wanted a small pink pig of my very own and must have read it a hundred times.

3) The Mallory Towers books - I so wanted to go to boarding school and play Lacross with girls called 'Clarissa' and 'Emily' and have illicit midnight feasts!

4) Famous Five series - Ohhh to have adventures like they did! Find a secret Island all of my own, be in a secret society and go on picnics with cucumber sandwiches and lashings of ginger beer Smile

5) Kes - Well I guess I identified with some of the harshness of the realities of Billy's life, but again it's about escapism, Billy had his kestral and I had books! Smile
24-02-2005, 06:48 PM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2005 06:50 PM by Woodstock.)
~Charlie & The Chocolate Factory - by Roald Dahl

~Asterix - various

~Tintin - various

~Children's Encyclopaedia of Whales/Sharks/Dolphins/Arctic animals (complete with wonderful pictures)

~Children's Encyclopaedia of Dinosaur's (complete with more wonderful pictures)

:sun: w o o d s t o c k:beer:
"I'm not a bird, I'm a festival!" :bored:
Find all posts by this user
24-02-2005, 07:00 PM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2005 07:05 PM by Fee For All.)
Mine were:

The Little White Horse - wonderful story that would be fantastic as a Disney.

Snow Cloud Stallion - I coveted this book in the bookshop because of the picture on the front. Father Christmas heard me:thumbsup:

Wish for a Pony - because I did.

Show Jumping Secret - because my wish came true, but I needed to practice.

Black Beauty - it's Black Beauty!

...not that I liked ponies or anything...Blush

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
24-02-2005, 07:26 PM

1. Black Beauty - a little girl could not live without this book!! {LOL Fee a horse theme methinks!}
  2. Swallows and Amazons - I still love it - the sotry where Titty Walker makes her debut - I so want to be Titty Walker!!
  3. The 'What Katy Did [and 'Next']' stories - my wee sis was Katy and I imagined it was her.
  4. Heidi - like V I wanted to be Heidi.
  5. The Moomins - I got given the whole set as a child and kept them safe and I have just finished reading my books to my 6 year old and he loves them too.
24-02-2005, 07:30 PM
The Mary Plain books, about a little bear who lived with the Owl Man (so called because he wore specs)

The 'Jill' books, by Ruby Ferguson, loads better than the upper class twittish Pullen-Thompson sisters Smile

King of the Wind, forget the author but it was a psuedo true account of one of the Darley Arabians.

Just So Stories, Rudyard Kipling...magic!

Johathan Livingstone Seagull, still love this now.

M

Intergalactic Space Cat

[Image: wildchild.jpg]
Home of Jimi, the Wild Child.
24-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Ooooh, I loved:

Carbonel

The Secret Garden

Swallows and Amazons

The Fantastic Four (much better than the Favous Five)

The Little Prince

I could probably go on for ever, aah the memories

Bollox to potplants
24-02-2005, 09:31 PM
floopy Wrote:Ooooh, I loved:

The Fantastic Four (much better than the Favous Five)

Nooooooooooo - I have never heard of the Fantastic Four - who were they then?? They could not have been Enid Blyton's mates - cos the Five were the ultimate bestest, closely followed by the Secret Seven - with their ludicrous passwords. No Floops don't upset me like this - who were the Four???

But so pleased you also adored Swallows and Amazons - I am Titty Walker don't you know!!!!????
24-02-2005, 09:38 PM
The Adventure Series

Four children and a parrot in eight thrilling adventures - a mysterious Island, a deserted Valley, an exciting cruise ship, a travelling circus, a strange mountain...each book provides a new setting for the children to fall into another adventure. There are always plenty of laughs with Kiki around to make sure you all "Wipe Your Feet and Blow Your Nose!" and good old Bill Smugs to save the day.

Many readers say that "The Valley of Adventure" is one of the very best of Enid Blyton's six hundred plus books for children.

God Save the King!

The Island of Adventure
The Castle of Adventure
The Valley of Adventure
The Sea of Adventure
The Mountain of Adventure
The Ship of Adventure
The Circus of Adventure
The River of Adventure

They weren't actually called the Fantastic Four, it seems, I must have called them that myself Blush

Bollox to potplants
24-02-2005, 09:46 PM
floopy Wrote:They weren't actually called the Fantastic Four, it seems, I must have called them that myself Blush

Oh thank the Lord!!! for that!! I thought I had seriously missed out on something spesh!! But no - I have the Valley of Adventure on the bookshelf [well one of the boys bookshelves - doesn't sit well with Sex Watching and Yung].

So Mrs Floops self confessed name changer of the Famous Enid - if there were 8 heros what would you call them?? [actually this is a scientific question - as my 6 year old has all the secret 7 and Famous 5 books - and wonders endlessly if there were 1, 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, etc heros what they would be called???

And when I was a child there were 5 of us who knocked around together - we were the Famous Five; Bernie, Theresa, Suzi, Kate and Clare the Dog [you gotta sing it though] - Clare wasn't actually a dog she was Theresa's and Bernies little sister.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Books 2011 rangi2011 1 1,629 01-04-2011 05:16 AM
Last Post: rangi2011
  Books I would recommend - and why. survivorfan 32 9,629 05-12-2006 01:47 PM
Last Post: Dolores
  Top Books floopy 8 2,180 30-08-2006 01:14 PM
Last Post: Sammboelyn
  You &amp; books in general... Coastie 58 6,496 10-04-2006 06:15 PM
Last Post: Coastie
  what is your favourite book?? Crystal Lights 43 6,045 24-08-2005 09:12 PM
Last Post: Marmoset
  Bog Books! Coastie 2 1,357 26-04-2005 10:05 PM
Last Post: Andrea
  Which books have given you nightmares? waylander 19 3,339 13-04-2005 03:33 PM
Last Post: MariaRob
  What Cook Books to you have in your Kitchen? Bella 26 4,305 07-04-2005 08:50 PM
Last Post: Bob
  What’s your favourite Terry Pratchett Book? Cockney 12 3,256 01-03-2005 06:51 PM
Last Post: waylander