Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zonked
10-10-2005, 01:38 PM
Zonked

The average time it takes people to fall asleep is 7 minutes. I think I used to fall asleep in 7 seconds.

Over the last few months, this has started to change and it regularly takes me several hours to drop off. You'd think the next day I'd be knackered and fall asleep instantly, but that isn't always the case. Consequently, I'm often tired whilst at work. There's no particular physical changes to my routine, but I'm having trouble switching my mind off, so if anyone knows a fool-proof way of doing this (without the use of drugs), it would be much appreciated.

I'd read the answers, but I'm off for a kip Big Grin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2005, 02:13 PM
Zonked
I think its probably a passing phase Nox. Most people go through stages where their normal sleep routine alters in some way. Sometimes its through stress / anxiety and in those instances its easy to identify a reason. But other times it just happens for no discernible reason.

But as a guildeline I read an article about this quite recently and falling asleep in less than 5 minutes is regarded as a sign of previous sleep deprivation, whereas falling asleep within 10 minutes is regarded as normal. Taking hours to fall asleep can be a sign that you need less sleep than you have been allowing yourself, but I think this only applies if this is your pattern for months and months.

I wouldn't worry about it Nox. You'll probably find that you revert back to your usual sleep patterns before too long, but if it continues for any great length of time, you might want to get checked out to make sure there is no medical reason.

On the subject of switching your mind off, I find that it helps to think of something really, really relaxing i.e. a particularly nice holiday memory. I usually relive a scuba diving memory.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
10-10-2005, 02:37 PM
Zonked
I think you all know my remedy for not sleeping. When I was going through depression I just couldn't go off. I would have liked to read but the light would annoy Mr C who had to get up for work so I borrowed some story tapes from the library and got the "in the ear" earphones so they wouldn't "hisssss" and disturb him. I used to bung the story tape into the cassette player and snuggle down under the covers and listen to the tapes.

This works because it focusses your mind on something other than your day to day problems. Also, I think it is reminiscent of having your mum read you a story when you were little. Whatever it is, it worked for me and I found that after a few nights I was only hearing about 10 minutes of the story tape and had to keep rewinding it.

In the end, I got fed up with rewinding tapes so I bought a little pocket size radio and tune into the late night chat shows (don't like music cos that lets your mind wander and defeats the object). They're stupid and banal but it just stops you worrying about things.

To me it is like a baby's dummy. I can't sleep without it and it goes everywhere with me. I have no problem sleeping when I go away as long as I have my little radio. It stays on all night and if I should wake up in the night I don't lay there worrying I just pop the earphones back in (they always seem to fall out) and I soon go off again and even if I don't, it doesn't matter cos I just listen to the radio.

I know it wouldn't work for everyone because some people can't stand those "in the ear" earphones.
10-10-2005, 02:39 PM
Zonked
well..if other treads are anything to go by...
just listen to james blunt....you should soon nod off.Everyone else does.
:-)

'Come away, oh human child, to the waters and the wild.With a fairy hand in hand...for the world is more full of weeping than you will understand.........'
Find all posts by this user
10-10-2005, 05:04 PM
Zonked
Nox Wrote:The average time it takes people to fall asleep is 7 minutes. I think I used to fall asleep in 7 seconds.

Over the last few months, this has started to change and it regularly takes me several hours to drop off. You'd think the next day I'd be knackered and fall asleep instantly, but that isn't always the case. Consequently, I'm often tired whilst at work. There's no particular physical changes to my routine, but I'm having trouble switching my mind off, so if anyone knows a fool-proof way of doing this (without the use of drugs), it would be much appreciated.

I'd read the answers, but I'm off for a kip Big Grin

Its your age dear!! Tongue

I am the opposite of you Noxy. Well I used to take ages to drop off, now I am zonked within seconds of my head hitting the pillow. So according to Karen's article I have been previously sleep deprived. Which is mad as I have always had 8 - 10 hours a night!

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

10-10-2005, 05:17 PM
Zonked
Flip Wrote:I used to take ages to drop off, now I am zonked within seconds of my head hitting the pillow. So according to Karen's article I have been previously sleep deprived. Which is mad as I have always had 8 - 10 hours a night!
Hmm I wonder why that could be?

Quote:I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food
Aha! :w00t: Wink

Myself, I usually fall asleep very quickly. Like Groucho I belong in the sleep deprived category. The only real exception would be if I'm under stress, in which case the brain tends to race.

Mick Smile
No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts

For topical debate and vitriolic mudslinging DON'T visit: http://www.greatworlddebate.com cos it's a dead link.

INSTEAD visit http://greatworlddebate.net/gwdsmf/index.php
10-10-2005, 07:20 PM
Zonked
I used to be able to drop off very easily but when I hit the menopause that all changed. I lay awake for hours and couldn't switch off it was very frustrating as it left me tired the next day. I tried staying up late on here thinking that if I was totally exhausted I would drop of quicker but that didn't work. Mr M's snoring didn't help matters either.

The last couple of months it has started to improve so I am hoping that stage is over.
10-10-2005, 07:45 PM
Zonked
I heard it takes a man on average 7mins to fall asleep...didn't realise that applied to women aswell! :ohmy:

I have never been able to get to sleep in under and hour. It can be a bit annoying, esspecially when I am particualarly tired. Basically I can read till my eye lids close, turn off the light and ding...I'm awake again. I have tried writing stuff down and then turning the light out...kinda brain dumping before sleep but ding...my imagination comes alive at night and when I have tried writing stuff as it has come to me I have found myself awake for several hours instead of the usual one!

Ho well...its me!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
11-10-2005, 07:47 AM
Zonked
mikado Wrote:Hmm I wonder why that could be?

Aha! :w00t: Wink

Oi!! :w00t:

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]