Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
childcare ... what are your problems?
20-09-2005, 10:55 PM

reading through Bella and Andrea's posts in the "faults" thread I realise that childcare is a difficult question. Whether you care for a child or whether your child needs caring.

So share your stories here.....

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2005, 11:06 PM
I no longer need childcare but tomorrow when I'm sober i will tell you some horror stories about my childcare experiences! Although the horror is only 10% and the other 50% is OK with 40% being very good!!!!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
21-09-2005, 06:40 AM
I have (fortunately) never needed to use childcare in any form. I gave up work to have Buzzlet number one (herbey known as Sam) and went back to work after having buzzlet number three (hereby known as Matt). Mr B worked 4 on 4 off and I worked the opposite 4, whilst he looked after the boys (including middle Buzzlet hereby known as Joe- thought I'd better include him too).

They all went off to school and I was lucky enough to fall right on my feet and get a job from 9.30 - 2.30 four days a week, term time only!
Find all posts by this user
21-09-2005, 08:59 AM
I've always had to use childcare, ever since I went back to work when my eldest was 6 months old. Like Dol, I have a few horror stories, but the last 6 years or so of care have been, on the whole, very good.

We will probably give up on childcare completely after Easter next year. My eldest goes to school with her eldest, so they will see each other at school. That in itself will be interesting to watch as I don't think they would be particularly good friends if they hadn't been forced together due to circumstances.

It's a relief in one way, financially, to know that we won't have to pay out huge chunks of our hard-earned cash, especially during school holidays. But on the other hand, at least we know that when they're with her they are being well looked after, entertained and fed!

We will try our best to continue a good relationship with her because, at the end of the day, she has cared for particularly my eldest since he was 5 years old and has become very fond of them. Likewise, we are very fond of her two boys and we have been an important part of each-other's lives for a long time.
21-09-2005, 09:00 AM
Like Buzz, I gave up work when I had my first, Katie almost 8 years ago. I had intended going back to work and had checked out all the nurseries. My mother in law was horrified that I was going back to work and had came up with a plan.....I was to drop the baby off at her house (15 miles away) on the Sunday night and collect the baby on the Wednesday when I finished work, she couldn't bear the thought of "her grandchild" being sent away!!! Well, that was soon knocked on the head, if I had gone back to work, she would have been the last person I would have left my child with!

We decided (mr & Mr B) between us that I didn't have to return if I didn't want to.

Dol, I could tell some horror stories too, there is one child-minder who goes to my toddler group and she is just vile! She child-minds a little girl who as a baby cried all the time and she refused to pick her up and she did not want to spoil her! She told that the mother should just leave her to cry as picking her up everytime is not doing the baby good! Her own little boy is a thug at the toddlers but she seems to turn a blind eye to that, but any other child touches him and she screams at the other child.

Although I do hate reports that come up saying that a child is better at home than a child who goes to nursery - some mums have to work! They feel guilty enough at doing this and these reports linking that their children don't come on doesn't make the situation any better.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
21-09-2005, 09:27 AM
Well, as most of you know. I've been a stay at home mum since having my two, but am going to do my course to go back to work.

Childcare round here is very sparse.
There is one really good woman but she is fully booked, although I did manage to get my two in with her for when I go on the course, but she already had an agreement with another woman that if this womans two kids needed to go to the childminder at the last minute, she would take them, and it would be on a Tuesday when my two were there, so mine wouldn't be able to go then.
So really no use.

But as I said in the other thread a friend of mine is willing to take them.
She has a boy in Sean's year and a younger girl, so a playmate for Steven.

Our local surestart scheme is building a nursery at the school, so I thought, great, my two can go there after school and I'll just pick them up when I get home.
But no, Sean can't go. Surestart is only for the under 5's.
I complained to them about this, when they were planning it all.
And all they said is that another government department deals with over 5's.

I really wish the school had an after school club.
That would be ideal.
And after Xmas, Steven will go full time, so I only need someone to take them to school and pick them up for about 1/2 hour.

I only need childcare until I'm fully qualified as when I get a full time job, hubby will give up his work and become a dad at home!

Sorry I've gone on about this abit, but it's something in my mind at the moment, as I do worry about them going elsewhere and how they will cope, but as they are going to someone with kids who they go to school with, they should be alright, I hope:unsure:

[Image: 429.gif]
21-09-2005, 10:03 AM
Well, I can battle you on the other side of the coin here - I have been a Nanny, still do childcare - in fact have worked with the care of other peoples children for most of my life. I am about to take care of a new baby due next month, once she is 6 weeks old, and her Mum returns to part time work. I am very sought after, but by hell, I have dealt with some evil little kids, and even more gruesome parents in my time!!

I am available for any questions?? :ohmy:

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
21-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Eternity Wrote:I am about to take care of a new baby due next month, once she is 6 weeks old, and her Mum returns to part time work.

6 weeks!!! Eternity, I am sure you a really good childminder but I find this unbelievable that there is a need to go back to work when the baby is just 6 weeks - 6 months, yes but 6 weeks I find really sad. Not just for the baby but for the mother as well, heck at 6 weeks I was in my nightie at 4pm in the afternoon, I still had a bit of PND and feel that at 6 weeks you were still emotionally bonding with the new baby and all the changes it brings!

21-09-2005, 10:42 AM
Jeez 6 weeks! I was a physical and emotional wreck for the first 3 months with both of mine. Can't imagine being able let alone wanting to go back after 6 weeks!

I can only assume that a) the mother has no financial or childcare alternative or b) the baby flew out so easily that the mother has no such problems or c) the baby's such a nightmare she can't wait to hand it over to someone else.

From the baby's point of view, it isn't really old enough to "miss" its mother in as much as it wouldn't start crying when it saw you walking out of the door. However, it is a very crucial stage of its development and could have the effect of either making the child more unstable and needy or more independent.

Because, of course, I'm an expert. :bag:
21-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Patsy Wrote:I can only assume that a) the mother has no financial or childcare alternative or b) the baby flew out so easily that the mother has no such problems or c) the baby's such a nightmare she can't wait to hand it over to someone else.

From the baby's point of view, it isn't really old enough to "miss" its mother in as much as it wouldn't start crying when it saw you walking out of the door. However, it is a very crucial stage of its development and could have the effect of either making the child more unstable and needy or more independent.

Because, of course, I'm an expert. :bag:

No disrespect to you Eternity but at 6 weeks a baby is very time-consuming, they do not sleep for 18 hours of the day, like they say in all the books!! and you probably have other children to look after.

Surely, financially it cannot be that bad. I know the maternity package is crap, although it has improved since I was at work - in fact when I was off on maternity leave I had to pay my employer!!

We may have to deal with child-care as you know Mr B's job situation and come December he will be unemployed - he is hoping to retrain and get out of IT as it is just no longer safe! It may mean that I will have to go back to work but child-care is so expensive that I would have to get a job that pay a decent amount to make it worth my while. Abbie, I could get into day-nursery but with Katie at school she would be my major problem. We do have a brilliant after-school club but it is full with a huge waiting list, no family live close-by so I would need to use a child-minder.