Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
deal or no deal
10-12-2008, 10:15 AM
deal or no deal

I know this show has been on for ages but I've only recently watched it.

I've got some questions about it:

Q1: when a contestant 'deals' the game continues, they are asked to carry on choosing as they 'would have done' if they had not dealt.

Question: how do they know what they 'would have done'? It does not make sense to me, but it does appear to make sense to N Edmonds.

Q2: If you have five boxes left, say £1k, £10k £30k £75k and £100k, what is a 'fair' offer? I would say it would be the average of the boxes left, in this case in the region of £40k,but the offer is always less, in this case it would be around £15k. So, seeing as you are always offered poor odds, so wouldn't it always be mathematically in your favour never to 'deal'?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2008, 11:22 AM
deal or no deal
SF, honey, what's with the probabilty obsession at the moment?

bam bam
10-12-2008, 02:16 PM
deal or no deal
survivorfan Wrote:Q2: If you have five boxes left, say £1k, £10k £30k £75k and £100k, what is a 'fair' offer? I would say it would be the average of the boxes left, in this case in the region of £40k,but the offer is always less, in this case it would be around £15k. So, seeing as you are always offered poor odds, so wouldn't it always be mathematically in your favour never to 'deal'?

I think this depends entirely on how much you value the money. A lort of people have said they go on there to reach a certain target, and once they are offered that amount, they deal regardless.

I'd love to know what I'd do if I was playing, I don't think you could say for certain until you were actually offered that amount of money.

You're not born lazy, it's an acquired skill

[Image: pot004.gif] [Image: egg03064.gif][Image: 90725.gif][Image: 79735.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2008, 02:30 AM
deal or no deal
survivorfan Wrote:I know this show has been on for ages but I've only recently watched it.

Q2: If you have five boxes left, say £1k, £10k £30k £75k and £100k, what is a 'fair' offer? I would say it would be the average of the boxes left, in this case in the region of £40k,but the offer is always less, in this case it would be around £15k. So, seeing as you are always offered poor odds, so wouldn't it always be mathematically in your favour never to 'deal'?

But then you could knock out the £30k, £75k and the £100k in the next round. You might think that's improbable but it's surprising how often it happens. If it does then £15k looks pretty good compared to what you've got left. The offer would be minimal and you then have to just hope that you've got the £10k box on your table. That's the time when you kick yourself for not taking the £15k (a bird in the hand ... etc.)

Or you could end up with the £1k and the £100k. You'd probably get offered £15k again because the banker would want to tempt you to play on and hopefully lose. From what I've seen there's no "fair" about it. The banker just manipulates the game according to the odds.

An offer of £20k looks a bit poor when there's a £250k carrot dangling in front of you but it looks like a nice fat sum if you end up with £1.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Deal or No Deal Bella 83 7,020 08-05-2006 10:19 AM
Last Post: Bonsai