Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ethernet
14-10-2005, 11:46 AM
ethernet

Just bought a wireless router/modem, we want to connect laptops via wireless, and our PC via a cable. Checked the way our PC connects to our existing modem, and it's via a USB connector. THe new router needs an ethernet connection but our PC hasn't got an ethernet socket. Any idea how we connect the two?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2005, 12:04 PM
ethernet
Oh god, i wish Mr.B were here. He has just dont the exact same thing at home. His main PC is connected via cable, and my laptop is wireless.

I think we bought some sort of connector from PC world, which overcame the problem of not having an ethernet socket.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-10-2005, 12:28 PM
ethernet
I think we had a similar problem SF. When Mr tiggs comes home, I'll ask him your question and see if it is the same. If so, we were able to do it.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
15-10-2005, 07:34 AM
ethernet
Can the hubbies shed any light on what I have to do?

15-10-2005, 01:29 PM
ethernet
Just spoke with Mr.B. He isnt sure whether you can buy an adapter, which sticks into the computer USB and has an ethenet cable connecter.

You might have to go to PC World or equivalent and buy a 'slot in' which goes into the back of the PC with the relevant hole for the Ethernet.

I think your best bet is to go to a computer store and ask their advice. This is what we did when we were rigging up our laptop wireless - and they were very helpful.

15-10-2005, 01:36 PM
ethernet
Mr.B has just spoken to a friend of his who is a hot shot computer blokie.

He said go to http://www.direct-USB-store.co.uk. Click on adapters, 3rd one down, £14.99. Its a USD to Ethernet adaptor.

Should be the answer to your prayers.

15-10-2005, 02:43 PM
ethernet
OK - thank you

15-10-2005, 02:46 PM
ethernet
SF just checked with Mr tiggs and ours was a slightly different problem. We had to buy an ethernet card for our old computer.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
15-10-2005, 10:32 PM
ethernet
It's actually the same thing in both cases. You can use either a USB ethernet card or an internal ethernet card (or presumably wireless variants of both). Networking is a speciality of mine so feel free to post with any more specific enquiries.

Fitting an internal ethernet card is not difficult, and is probably your cheapest option. But don't buy the cheapest card available - you will have problems. I have learnt from bitter experience. WIth networking, branded cards are almost always better than bog-standard unbranded cards.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!