Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ficking nuisance
10-04-2009, 12:50 PM
ficking nuisance

Is a pub a pub? I mean, a pub used to be a place for the 'working man' to go to, spit swear and smoke, without having to worry about behaving properly.

Is it still the same? I guess Friday nights it is the same, anything goes.

Today, lunchtime, Sandy Adam (9) and I went to our local to eat. A group of 10 twentysomethings sat nearby. Half were Sirth Ifrican. One in particular, a blonde woman, was all ficking this and ficking that - loudly. In the end I told her, look, here we are, a family, a nine year old, we dont want to hear her ficking ficking ficking. They went a bit quiet. Later though they started talking, loud, about auto-erotic asphyxiation.

So.

I am I in the wrong, expecting people to behave thoughtfully in a family environment, or is it the case that a pub is a pub is a pub and will never be aything other than a place to spit and swear?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2009, 07:00 PM
ficking nuisance
I'm just jealous you could get a pint in a pub at all today!
Good Friday? no, not really! I'd have to travel up to Belfast to have a drink.

o/t the loud people were behaving badly in a public place with no regard for their surroundings, be it a pub or a park.

bam bam
10-04-2009, 07:04 PM
ficking nuisance
Is it a 'family pub' (Brewsters etc) or a 'pub pub'?

I think I'd give a different answer...

You're not born lazy, it's an acquired skill

[Image: pot004.gif] [Image: egg03064.gif][Image: 90725.gif][Image: 79735.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-04-2009, 11:07 PM
ficking nuisance
Mars Wrote:Is it a 'family pub' (Brewsters etc) or a 'pub pub'?

Family pub, 'family' room. But a pub (Wetherspoons).

Sort of raises a wider question - is it OK to behave however you want in a 'pub'?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
11-04-2009, 09:53 AM
ficking nuisance
No it's not. If a pub advertises and presents itself as a family place, with family rooms and offers children's meals on the menu then people should behave appropraitely if they see children are close by. It is a matter of respect. There are still plenty of pubs that are not open to chidren (well there are here anyway) and they are the places to go to spit and swear if you so desire. IMO

I have actually asked people to watch their language on the bus/train and in the park if I am with my children. so nowhere is off limits to expect people to be respectful.
11-04-2009, 11:56 AM
ficking nuisance
Buzz Wrote:No it's not. If a pub advertises and presents itself as a family place, with family rooms and offers children's meals on the menu then people should behave appropraitely if they see children are close by. It is a matter of respect. There are still plenty of pubs that are not open to chidren (well there are here anyway) and they are the places to go to spit and swear if you so desire. IMO

Agreed. The reason I asked is that in a family pub, you go in there knowing exactly who will be in there. Adults with their children after a nice time (I would imagine), and therefore behaviour should be curbed appropriately.

Whereas with a 'pub pub' I think it would be slightly out of order to expect the adults to curb their language to welcome younger visitors. I know I like the fact that there are no children in pubs so I don't have to feel as though I need to censor myself.

I would argue that 'pub pubs' are a place where adults can do adult things, without fear of upsetting anybody, (Obviously within reason!) and if children are brought in, then their parents should expect a few things.

You're not born lazy, it's an acquired skill

[Image: pot004.gif] [Image: egg03064.gif][Image: 90725.gif][Image: 79735.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user