Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
getting your just desserts ....
04-09-2006, 06:11 PM

spinning off from the Steve Irwin - lived by the sword and die by the sword train of thought.

for example: do you think that those people who were burnt to death in the space shuttle got their just desserts? I mean they were tampering with nature and the natural order of things weren't they? or were they taking a risk for the greater good of mankind?

gosh - i rather like this debating stuff!

go on discuss, dissect and dismantle ... :smartie:

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2006, 06:17 PM
I think that's different because they weren't using another living creature for entertainment.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
04-09-2006, 06:37 PM
They knew the risks they were taking, I doubt any of them would complain about their unfortunate demise.

I wouldn't call it their just desserts, nor would I describe Steve Iriwin's death that way, but just as 19th century English gents sometimes got eaten when hunting tigers, it's hardly a huge surprise.
04-09-2006, 07:03 PM
I don't think anyone deserves to die, as such, but if you live an extreme lifestyle then obviously your chances are of dying in an extreme manner are going to increase.

Bollox to potplants
04-09-2006, 07:23 PM
Like Floop the loop has said...if you are going to take part in an extreme life style it would be foolish to go in thinking that you are never going to get hurt.

HTV video of the wall runner sprinting up the side of the cliff face without any safety gear is aprime example of the risks people take to get an adrenaline rush and to push themselves to the limit...if the climber misses just one grip death is almost certainly going to follow.

Astronauts know that every time, like all pilots, they get onboard an aircraft they are trusting that the people who built and maintained the aircraft have done their job. They recognise there is a chance they wont come back but the desire to see and do what so few others get to is an immense driving force...so they do it.

The only people who not necessarily deserve to die but ask for it more are those who do not weigh up the risks correctly and increase the level of danger through foolishness...you wouldn't go wall running after a couple of drinks for instance or climb into a den of hungry lions and look to pet one of them...nor would most people get tanked up on booze and take out a high speed water craft and yet I have taken numerous calls which have resulted in death because someone did just that.

Steve Irwin pushed his passion to the outer bounderies in order to show the world what it was all about. Saddly he went a few inches the wrong way just one time and paid the ultimate price.

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-09-2006, 07:54 AM
I think everybody takes risks in life every day anyway, just crossing the road.

If people want to risk all that's up to them, it's sad but that's life, when your time is up that's it.

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct.
Benjamin Disraeli

[Image: ake.gif]