Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
have heavy periods do you? Shame.
07-09-2005, 09:14 AM

Anyone remember the supermarket check out lady in the Fast Show (I think) who made loud comments about the contents of people's trolleys? ("Oh tampons - super absorbent - have heavy periods do you? Awww, shame")

At our Tesco there is a super-friendly chap who does something similar. Now I know we usually complain about miserable service, but an overly friendly approach is just as bad. For instance, I was at the checkout on Friday and ...

"Oh Fahitas. And refried beans and jalapeno peppers. Are you doing a mexican meal then? I like mexican food. Wonder why there aren't any Mexican restaurants here. There are loads in the states... There aren't many Mexican people here either... Oh, Cono Sur wine. Good choice.".... and so on. (I pay and leave).

(Calling across supermarket to me - ) "Bye sir - enjoy the mexican meal!"

Ah well, complaining about him makes a change from complaining the weather is either too cold or too hot I suppose.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2005, 05:32 PM
We used to have one exactly like that in Safeway - when there was such a thing. Used to bug the hell out of me! All I want to do is pay and get out!

Don't suppose your one wore stupid glasses and had an Aberdeen accent by any chance?

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2005, 05:34 PM
I was at the supermarket the other day and was operating on my usual automatic pilot until I got to the checkout when the contents of my basket were paraded to the world. I suddenly came to life and thought **** hope I havent put in anything too unhealthy!!!!! Catholic guilt complex - it comes out in all situations throughout life........overfriendly staff i.e. intrusive and acting for the supermarket inspectorate are not a welcome addition!!

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things
07-09-2005, 05:44 PM
I would have punched his piggin lights out - I hate it when the check outs chat.

"How are you today"
"Fine"
"Is this a courgette or a marrow HA HA I can never tell"
"courgette"
"ooh and whats this?
"Avacado"
"00h looks like a pear..HA HA"
"hmm"
"I hope it dosn't cloud over later, its my afternoon off"
" hmm "
"I've worked 6 days in a row now, looking forward to going home and lying in the garden"
" hmm "
"Just my luck it will cloud over though"
"WILL YOU JUST SHUT THE **** UP!"
"oh sorry"

I never have the guts to say it though, they don't mean no harm I suppose.
07-09-2005, 05:50 PM
What is even more annoying is when they try and talk to the kids, and the kids don't want to talk to them and you have to step in and respond.

For the love of god, we spend hours teaching the kids not to talk to strangers and then the checkout staff try and engage them in conversation and wonder why they won't talk back!!

Or is this just my kids? :bag:
07-09-2005, 05:57 PM
Buzz Wrote:What is even more annoying is when they try and talk to the kids, and the kids don't want to talk to them and you have to step in and respond.

For the love of god, we spend hours teaching the kids not to talk to strangers and then the checkout staff try and engage them in conversation and wonder why they won't talk back!!

Or is this just my kids? :bag:

LOL Buzz, I know exactly what you mean!!

I think the worst one I have ever encountered was at...........shhhh.......Safeways when as I was packing my stuff away the extremely young assistant asked me if I was going out that night (I think it was a Friday). I told her that due to no babysitters that I wouldn't be and then she rattled on that she couldn't wait to finish up here as she was going up to get absolutely steaming and that when she was out the previous weekend she couldn't remember what she had done as she was so steaming and so it went on. I couldn't get out of there quick enough!! And then I had to explain to Katie what steaming meant!!

Another time at Tescos there were a couple of people in front of me and as soon as they got to the counter the checkout assistant would ask them something and each replied no and when it got to my turn she asked me if I had seen the football scores to which I replied no, she then went on to say that Rangers better have won or she was going to go mad and that she better soon serve someone who would know the score!!

What sort of people do supermarkets employ these days

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
07-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Bella Wrote:What sort of people do supermarkets employ these days
On the whole I would say complete eejits.

HOWEVER, one of my best friends works in a supermarket and her hubby is a manager and they are far from being eejity.
07-09-2005, 06:03 PM
My cousin is a supermarket manager and as much as he can be a numptie at times I don't think he is quite an eejit yet.

Tesco's win hands down for me when it comes to staff though, they are 99% of the time friendly and efficient except when they want to know the Rangers score!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
07-09-2005, 06:15 PM
You should all consider yourselves very lucky that the people serving you can actually string a sentance together :ohmy: :laugh: ..............

all I get in our local Morrisons is a grunt, off a spotty, teenage, chav "wiv attitude maaaaaaaaan", be it male or female, Elizabeth Dukes finest dripping off them, in their fake burburry/von dutch tops and talking like "they is from the ghetto" Rolleyes :laugh:

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
07-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Oh you moaning minnies - for the love of god - embrace them with open arms.

Reasons:

1] They go home and say to Mr or Mrs Supermarket person - 'eeee pet there was a lovely man/lady in today who just smiled and talked to me like I wasn't stupid!' - ' they made my day they did'!!

and

2] You come out thinking that you have successfully done your shopping, you have made someone's day - you have smiled throughout the whole experience and it wasn't that bad - was it??

and

3] For the ever so enthusiastic salesperson - remember that they are trying their very best, and their very best maybe our very worst - but they are trying and need to be praised for it, and they are only doing their jobs. I can't of think of anything worse than trying to get someone to buy re-fried beans for their Mexican Fajitas or Burritos or Tacos - when re-fried beans sound so very second hand dahling!!!

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Oh the shame! maxine 32 2,035 06-10-2006 03:23 AM
Last Post: msgirl
  What's your secret shame? Dolores 62 2,451 31-05-2005 07:50 PM
Last Post: Gelastic
  Periods..... Flip 47 2,336 22-05-2005 07:49 PM
Last Post: Flip
  Periods...What age did you start... Cat 30 1,313 22-05-2005 07:20 PM