Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help - Blink!
21-04-2005, 09:46 AM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2005 09:54 AM by survivorfan.)
help - Blink!

Something has taken over my computer!

When I start it my desktop is replaced with something which wherever I click it takes me to an anti-spyware site. I have run AVG which came up with 4 infected files one of which is unhealable. I am also getting messages that Kerio Firewal' search assistant has been tampered with. And Kerio is bombarding me with messages that it wants to connect to the internet but I'm not sure if this is legitamate or not. All in all the machine has been taken over!

Any ideas what I can do for a quick fix? WOuld restoring the machine to an earlier point be any good?

Edit to add: I am also getting messages apparently from AVG saying

Virus found -

URL: ms-its:mhtml:file://c:\explorer.mht!http://iehelp.net/counter/help.chm::/ipreg32.cab
C:\Documents and Settings\default\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\4T6B0D6Z\ipreg32[1].cab
Trojan horse Downloader.Small.21.D

- click to move to vault.

I clicked to move it to the vault then it came up with a message 'click for free download' which makes me think something is now masquerading as AVG
so I can no longer trust it?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2005, 11:34 AM
help - Blink!
Looks like there's a good solution to your problem >here<. Yes, your virus checker is probably compromised until the situation is resolved. Had you overlooked updating the virus checker? Otherwise, this nasty shouldn't really have overcome your defences.

As for Kerio, it looks very much like the virus/trojan is attempting to connect to the internet. You can be sure that's not for any good reason. You'll need to fix this a.s.a.p.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-04-2005, 11:42 AM
help - Blink!
Blink - yes I did overlook updating AVG.

Re your link - was there a particular solution you saw there or are you suggesting I post my query there - if the former it's not clear to me what the solution is or where it is!

Thanks for your help

21-04-2005, 04:58 PM
help - Blink!
Start from the second post in that thread. Ignore the first bit about "hijackthis.exe". Start the instructions from where it says, "Download CWShredder.exe".

Follow the instructions, then resolve not to visit those dodgy websites any more.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-04-2005, 05:54 PM
help - Blink!
Blink -

I am going to work through the instructions, but it looks like an arduous process so I might wait until tomorrow!

Can I ask you something though. How do you know that this cure is the right one for what I have described to you? Is mine a well-known problem?

Also - I am just curious - how did you happen to know where to find your link/thread?

21-04-2005, 06:25 PM
help - Blink!
Just to add - AVG seems to be working now, each time I run it it detects a whole bunch of trojans, some of which it puts in the vault, some of which it cant - but but they are still all detected the next time I run AVG

downloader.dyfica.3.R
VBS/Psyme
downloader.small.21.d
dropper.small.30.bl
dropper.small.15.as
collected.5.ao

21-04-2005, 06:56 PM
help - Blink!
I've just got rid of a virus buggy thing and I had to disable system restore or something because I've got xp. I think you have to do it with me as well, otherwise your PC will just keep reinstalling the deleted files.

Mind you, best advice is to wait for Blink :laugh:

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
21-04-2005, 07:00 PM
help - Blink!
I don't think it will hurt to empty your 'temporary internet files' either SF!
22-04-2005, 08:08 AM
help - Blink!
Well I am going to take the actions set out in Blink's link, but I am wondering what those actions are designed to get rid of, and if they are likely to cure that whole mess of stuff I just mentioned.

22-04-2005, 05:00 PM
help - Blink!
Blink - I tried the suggestion in your link but didn't get too far: having downloaded CW Shredder and tried to run it in safe mode I got the reply: CW SHEREDDER.EXE IS NOT A VALID WIN 32 APPLICATION.

So ... stuck really.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  One for Blink or a recording buff survivorfan 16 2,176 21-07-2006 09:03 AM
Last Post: Blink
  Nuts Blink Nuts survivorfan 10 1,631 30-06-2006 04:13 PM
Last Post: bridge
  More Blink help needed survivorfan 7 889 19-07-2005 01:39 PM
Last Post: Blink