Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i-pods/MP3 players
03-07-2006, 07:41 PM
i-pods/MP3 players

Can any of you with experience help me, please?

My 10/11 has just done well in his SATs and I promised him an i-pod/MP3 player. I don't really want to pay much more than £70, so I know a Nano is out of the question. To be honest, he doesn't really need anything fancy, but at the same time I don't want it to fall apart.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2006, 09:27 PM
i-pods/MP3 players
I have had two mp3 players.

The first one was given to me as a gift so I have no idea how much it cost but it could hold something like 70 songs. But after about a year, something happened to the bit where you put the headphones in and I couldn't hear anything. So it went in the bin.

Then I bought one new from ebay about 8 months ago for about £50. It held about 100 songs but now the exact same thing has happened to it.

So I'm definately going for a iPod next. I don't know whether it's just been my bad luck but if I were you I'd go for quality and splash out on an iPod nano.

You couldn't buy me one as well could you?

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-07-2006, 09:45 PM
i-pods/MP3 players
PJ Wrote:You couldn't buy me one as well could you?

how did your SATs go then PJ! not as good as young Mr P I'll warrant.

well done to your son Patsy. :applause:

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-07-2006, 09:51 PM
i-pods/MP3 players
Patsy, from my experience, they are all as bad or as good as each other. I went through 3 in as many months - a Panasonic which just froze (though a friend has the same model and swears by it) a Philips with such bad sound quality I couldn't hear it on the tube finally an i-river which I'vee had for 18 months and love to bits (though loads of people tell me i-rivers are crap).

My neighbour bought the philips for her daughter (10 years) and it's going strong still. They like the poor sound as they know she's not going to blow her hearing out. Another neighbour's daughter is onto her third I-pod in under a year - they've frozen, bits have come loose - pretty shoddy really.

So I'd say you need to look for something that does the following:

Is easy to use and to download onto
Isn't too loud at max volume
Is chunky enough to be knocked around

So, you might be best looking at something specifically designed for sport.

Amazon have one called an Elio, but I have no idea how good they are or how easy to use.

Also the new Sony looks OK too, but I think you just have to wait for the inevitable fault with whatever you buy!

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
04-07-2006, 08:24 AM
i-pods/MP3 players
Thanks for your comments, guys. Any more would be gratefully received.

Thanks for the congrats, Dol. He's no genius, but he did better than we expected, so we're chuffed to bits.

He's at his new school for the day today and very nervous/excited he is too. Not as nervous as me at having to find the money for this piggin thing!
04-07-2006, 10:41 AM
i-pods/MP3 players
May I suggest you try looking at a Rio.

Not as small as many others but good capacity for the price, Pretty well built. Matey at work swears by his.

http://audiovisual.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/cp_1...d_rio.html

£78 for 6gb...Sounds good to me!
16-07-2006, 07:11 PM
i-pods/MP3 players
I have bought my son a Logik 512mb. Decided to go for a basic-middle model and at just under £40 was about as much as I could stretch to. It's quite a nice looking little thing and I've worked out how to "rip" the songs from a CD (get me). The trouble is, once I have transferred to songs to the player and then try to rip another CD, it overwrites the first one.

I can't work out what I'm doing wrong and the manual is useless. Can anyone help?
16-07-2006, 11:00 PM
i-pods/MP3 players
Not much info there Patsy!

Did it come with its own software, or are you just transferring from My Music? If it's the latter, you might try storing each CD in its own folder and then transfer these.

Or, Logik being Dixons/Currys own brand, take it back (with a couple of CDs) and ask them to show you on one of their instore pcs.

Interestingly, on the Curry's website, they don't show customer reviews for this brand :glare:. You might be better saying it doesn't work and exchange it for one of these

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
17-07-2006, 08:44 AM
i-pods/MP3 players
Fee For All Wrote:Interestingly, on the Curry's website, they don't show customer reviews for this brand :glare:. You might be better saying it doesn't work and exchange it for one of these

The inabilty of a user to use said electrical equipment isn't justifiable grounds for refund...it just means the user is stoopid

Anyway FeeF, that's only 256mb..Not a lot of cop these days. Any less tha 512mb is gonna be very limiting to a kid.

Pats, try an MP player forum (That'll get her off of her for while and give another group someone to laugh at!)
17-07-2006, 10:08 AM
i-pods/MP3 players
Up your bum, frog face. I did this already, but I can't find anyone who's having the same problem.

I worked out how to get rid of all the old tutt that comes with it "free", via Windows Explorer.

Fee, as far as I can make out, I'm doing it on Windows Media. "Ripping" and downloading it isn't a problem, but then when I go to do the next one, it just replaces the one I have just done.