Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
plz help need some advice
27-11-2005, 10:36 AM

i have been told so many times that i should go on the xfactor as i have done lots of karaoke and other stuff.but i dont have much confidence and im so shy its unreal.and i woule be so scared of going on tv.this is the main thing that stops me is i have my son and i have no family for support.i dont know what to do ive almost given up on my dream now due to all these facts.as i cant see a way around it,plz if anyone thinks they can help me plz do i hope ive come to the right place for some help.thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2005, 02:15 PM
mmoj82 Wrote:i have been told so many times that i should go on the xfactor as i have done lots of karaoke and other stuff.but i dont have much confidence and im so shy its unreal.and i woule be so scared of going on tv.this is the main thing that stops me is i have my son and i have no family for support.i dont know what to do ive almost given up on my dream now due to all these facts.as i cant see a way around it,plz if anyone thinks they can help me plz do i hope ive come to the right place for some help.thanks

Unfortunately, nobody can wave a magic wand and sort this out for you mmoj82!

I'm sure my advice is not what you want to hear but if you have a son (you don't say what age but I'm assuming that he is young enough to be dependant on you) and no family to help out then I think you should consider him first before even thinking about going on this show.

In the somewhat unlikely event (if you are as shy as you say) that you got put through, it would mean months of separation from him and it wouldn't be fair on him if he hasn't got a father or grandparent to step in while you were away.

I find it hard to understand how the folks on X-Factor who have kids can go away and leave them, but at least they seem to have family supporting them.

So I would say, put your son first and forget it - he needs you more than you need the anxiety and heartbreak that these shows can cause.

Good Luck in whatever you do anyway.
27-11-2005, 05:46 PM
mmoj82 Wrote:i have been told so many times that i should go on the xfactor as i have done lots of karaoke and other stuff.but i dont have much confidence and im so shy its unreal.and i woule be so scared of going on tv.this is the main thing that stops me is i have my son and i have no family for support.i dont know what to do ive almost given up on my dream now due to all these facts.as i cant see a way around it,plz if anyone thinks they can help me plz do i hope ive come to the right place for some help.thanks

I am not sure that I can offer any advice to actually help you on your quest to sing.

What I would say is that if you really really think that you have what they are looking for - go along for an audition, if they like you and you get chosen for boot camp then hey you know you are pretty good. And you can always back out for the sake of your son - but at least this way you will have access to people who really do know what they are talking about. You will be in touch with other like minded people, and also voice coaches and agents - you don't have to go through with it you know, but at least you will have some idea of whether you can cut it or not.

Good Luck.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-11-2005, 07:07 PM
thanks to both of u for replying to me.i will think long and hard about what u have but put back to me.and make my descision.i am terrified of actually making that step though even though i know i and others know i should be on there.like i said my confidence lets me down in a big way but anyway i will think about it ok and i will make the right choice either way.thanks again.take care
27-11-2005, 07:08 PM
mmoj82 Wrote:i have done lots of karaoke
Well that's the first thing you should change then. What's the most common criticism on these talent shows? "It was so karaoke..."

Get some real performance experience; that'll stand you in good stead and you have the benefit of finding out from an audience (however small) whether you have appeal beyond the karaoke scene. It'll help build your confidence too, big time.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
27-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Have you thought about joining a band? Look in the local papers for groups looking for a singer and go along and audition for them.....they will first off be honest as to wether or not you can actually sing and secondly once in a band you will have their support as you grow in confiedence...or maybe if you have a friend who plays guitar or something that can play for you whilst you do the singing. Once you have a few non-karaoke live performances under your belt I say go for it...what have you to lose!

If you can't do any of this then well....go for it anyway and get it out of your system one way or another then if you do well...wahey good for you...if you crash and burn..well you tried didn't make it so look for something else to do with your life without any regrets that you never gave it a shot!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
06-12-2005, 01:35 AM

Hello mmoj82

I suppose in a way I must be one of the many serious critics who doubt the validity of whether the x factor is able to come up with real talent. The initial televised auditions are a hoot but also an insult to watch, Simon Cowell as good as well admited that the show is a glorified karoake when commenting to journey south that they were brave to appear without any music backing disc.

In saying this you will probably assume that I'm seriously critical of karaoke to. In being more thoughtful on this score karaoke does have a place as part of the entertainment in a bar or social club, and I confess I have many a time sang in one, on a night out on the tiles - even though i'll blame my friends when the audience won't let me off as its not every karaoke that a KAthryn Jenkins sound alike will perform in.

I guess you were born in 1982 which makes you 23 or there abouts. You are at the right age to start training a singing voice with a private teacher or a 2 maybe 3 year course at your local college, poly or university. After a year you should see some results and this will be indicative of whether you go ahead to try for any talent shows. The course itself will hopefully give you some basics, and the confidence to encourage you towards something you enjoy doing.

Give community based courses a miss unless you need to check out whether you doubt having an abiltiy to sing.

On the subject of talent shows X FACTOR isn't the only one. Next time you have a search engine on your computer tap in singers talents shows, to say askjeeves and see what information comes out in the top 20. http://www.vocalist.co.uk may be there or Buy 'The stage newspaper' on thursday or check it out in your local library. You could also try 'The spotlight magazine' if you really are doubtful about what you have to offer the music industry.

If this is no help you could try your local amateur theatre musical company or choir in an attempt to get some experience.

All in all. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Maureen
Northern angel.:whistling
06-12-2005, 01:54 AM
Hello again mmoj82

Just a quick thought, you don't say whether you've had any other musical experience other than karaoke, there is no indication of whether you have a job and who looks after your son when you've gone to a karaoke bar. If I am reading right between the lines, you are 23 with a young son approaching school age of say 5, maybe your child is younger.( and below the age 7 he must always be in presence of a reponsible adult.)

I'm beginning to think that taking on a part time course is your best option, especially as you need to give time now to your son in these his formative years. Maybe a few hours a week volunteering to work as a backing singer could come in useful. There are short lifelong learning courses which can teach you to read music also which may assist to build your confidence. Creche facilities are provided by most teaching establishments.

Good luck
Maureen
Northern angel.