Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
shared printer
20-10-2005, 04:48 PM
shared printer

anyone know how to do this?

Pc (with printer) cabled to router

laptop (without printer) with wireless connection to router

want to be able to use pc's printer to print stuff off laptop over the wireless link

is it possible?

what do I do to set it all up?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2005, 05:56 PM
shared printer
Are you running XP or Win 98? Can't remember XP settings (can tell you tomorrow), but in Win 95/98/ME: On the PC that's connected to the printer. Start-->Settings-->Control Panel-->Network; click "File and print sharing"; enable "I want to give others access to my printers".

Then Start-->Settings-->Control Panel-->Printers. Right click the printer concerned and choose "sharing". Give the printer a name.

On the PC that's not connected to the printer: Start-->Settings-->Control Panel-->Printers. Add new printer. Choose "network printer". Use "browse" to find the printer in your network neighbourhood.

Pretty similar in XP, but slightly different route, from what I recall.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-10-2005, 06:16 PM
shared printer
I'm glad you have asked this question SF, this has been a mystery in our household for ages. :unsure:

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
20-10-2005, 06:45 PM
shared printer
Blink Wrote:Are you running XP or Win 98? Can't remember XP settings (can tell you tomorrow), but in Win 95/98/ME: On the PC that's connected to the printer. Start-->Settings-->Control Panel-->Network; click "File and print sharing"; enable "I want to give others access to my printers".

Then Start-->Settings-->Control Panel-->Printers. Right click the printer concerned and choose "sharing". Give the printer a name.

On the PC that's not connected to the printer: Start-->Settings-->Control Panel-->Printers. Add new printer. Choose "network printer". Use "browse" to find the printer in your network neighbourhood.

Pretty similar in XP, but slightly different route, from what I recall.

Blink, starting from your directions I have managed to get it working.

In fact I have managed to get our Win XP laptop, and Sandy's Win 2000 work laptop, printing wirelessly to the pcs printer.

What I did was to make each computer a member of the same network workgroup, then make sure the 'share files and printer' option was ticked for each cmputer. For each laptop I added a new printer, by browsing for the PCs printer on the network.

Tigger if you seriously want to do this I can send you detailed instructions by PM, but only if you really want to do it because it will take quite a bit of typing!

Blink, as always, thank you for your help.

20-10-2005, 07:59 PM
shared printer
Blink - any chance you might exercise your brain cells on this one ...

Flushed with the success of hving shared my printer, I decided to go the whole nine yards and share my PCs files with the laptops across the network.

Following my computer help, I did this:

On the PC I opened the C drive in Windows Explorer, went to the file sharing option and issued the instruction to let it share the entire C drive to other computers on the network, withthe option to be able to update the files on tyhe drive.

On my laptop I opened WIndows Explorer to try to find the PC's C drive. The nearest I could get was in My Network Places, and although I couldn't see the PC it let me search for computers on the network. It found the PC but wouldn't let me access it as I din't have the necessary permissions.

All I could then think of doing was opening the laptop's Windows Firewall and checking the option to share files, but this didn't fix the problem.

Any idea what I have missed, and what I can try next?

20-10-2005, 09:25 PM
shared printer
survivorfan Wrote:Tigger if you seriously want to do this I can send you detailed instructions by PM, but only if you really want to do it because it will take quite a bit of typing!

Thanks for the offer SF, but we have worked a way around it, which means I have to email myself stuff to print on the other computer but it's less complicated. I knew I could have asked before on here how to do it, but didn't as I knew it would entail a bit of detail, and it's not really a priority right now. But thanks anyway Smile

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
21-10-2005, 07:50 AM
shared printer
tigger767 Wrote:Thanks for the offer SF, but we have worked a way around it, which means I have to email myself stuff to print on the other computer but it's less complicated. I knew I could have asked before on here how to do it, but didn't as I knew it would entail a bit of detail, and it's not really a priority right now. But thanks anyway Smile

I tell yu what I will do, I will send you the details of how I did it anyway, because although it will take you 15 minutes o set it up, once you have done it it's loads more convenient.

Are you WIndows XP?

21-10-2005, 09:20 AM
shared printer
Yes we are windows xp SF. Smile