Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
shopped
03-05-2005, 02:19 PM
shopped

inspired by the supersize me thread when flip mentioned she read the book fast food nation. i read the start of a book called "shopped" by joanna blytheman or banaman or something like that. i didnt finish reading the book because all she does in it is whinge and whinge about tesco's et al making too much money and that sort of thing. and i just found her view totally stupid, she says that tesco are taking over and not offering consumers a choice. but is the reason for tesco's success not because they are giving consumers what they want?

she also argues that the rise of the supermarkets is pushing out the independents. but not everyone has the time to go to each and every single store to get one loaf of bread here and one pound of meat there. ok it might not be so good for the family owned butchers but that is the sad reality. fair enough we might get the juiciest meat and the freshesh veg from the local farmers market but not everyone has time for this. she complains that all supermarkets offer it pre-packaged ****e, which i dont think is true, there are veg and meat on offer and although they may not be the best, i cant frankly be arsed going out to get the best. and the reason all those ready meals are offered in abundance is because people want them!!

so are you in favour of joanna blytheman or will you happily eat your pesticides ridden tatties from the all singing all dancing tesco?

kookycat? she makes exceedingly good posts

[Image: pot002.gif]

[Image: egg03061.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2005, 02:41 PM
shopped
I love Tesco, I have a busy life and neither the time nor the inclination to shop at individual stores, when everything I want/need can be found under one roof. Hell, I can even get it delivered to my door.

If the small shopkeeper can't keep up, then it's time for him to get out of the retail trade and find another.

Bollox to potplants
Find all posts by this user
03-05-2005, 02:51 PM
shopped
Kooky, I haven't read shopped but I know a few people on this forum who have and yes, it does kind of open your eyes from the comments they have made. However I do also agree with your comments that going to the supermarket is hassle-free, you pack your recycling stuff dump it at the supermarket then shop. I do try to use my local shops when I can, but we don't have a local butchers. The nearest one does mean me taking the car and you can't park outside, so you have to drive around for ages trying to get a space in the street nearby whilst all the time emitting car gases. And you are always clock-watching just in case a warden comes. I normally have to do this with a 2 year old in tow and it is no fun strapping in and strapping out of the car. I do use the local fish shop or there is a wee van that comes round on a Thursday just outside the school. I also use as much as I can the fruit/veg co-op that is set-up in a nursing home nearby and what a difference in prices, although it doesn't last as long as the supermarket stuff, which does make me wonder what is put on their fruit & veg to make it last longer.

I have looked at doing internet shopping to stock up on meats, organic veg etc but the delivery prices are horrendous plus their prices in general are more expensive.

One thing though when you do go to an independant butcher/fishmonger they do know their stuff and often provide you with you fab recipes, there are a couple of these at the supermarkets but I do find that these are few and far between.

So what I am really saying is that yes, I would like to shop more independantly but because of the hassle ie carting a 2 year old around each individual shop and trying to get a parking space, I do tend to use the supermarket more often than the independant shops. Although Crombies, the butchers I do use when I can do make the most fabulous steak pies and the turkey we got off them for Christmas was delicious, I just wish I could park outside!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
03-05-2005, 03:43 PM
shopped
I am fortunate enough to have several local independent retailers in my village and surrounding villages, but I don't use any of them. The reason is that I work long hours and by the time I get home I don't feel like traipsing the streets looking for local home made goods etc - I just want to stop off at the supermarket and get a week's worth of stuff in at once.

I really don't care what Tesco do or don't do, or how they make their money....all is fair in love and war, and if you go out of business, it's because no one wants to buy your stuff, for whatever reason.
03-05-2005, 04:06 PM
shopped
Ceridwen Wrote:I am fortunate enough to have several local independent retailers in my village and surrounding villages, but I don't use any of them. The reason is that I work long hours and by the time I get home I don't feel like traipsing the streets looking for local home made goods etc - I just want to stop off at the supermarket and get a week's worth of stuff in at once.

I really don't care what Tesco do or don't do, or how they make their money....all is fair in love and war, and if you go out of business, it's because no one wants to buy your stuff, for whatever reason.

The thing is as well, Ceri they will all be closed. My local fishmonger takes 4 weeks holiday in the summer, 2 weeks at Easter and 2 weeks at Christmas - maybe it pays to be a fishmonger eh? I know the supermarkets have a bigger pull of people but the local shops also have to do their bit like stop closing at lunchtimes and open all day on a Saturday. It is hard for them to compete with the big chains but I think the big problem is the accessibility.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
03-05-2005, 04:25 PM
shopped
floopy Wrote:I love Tesco, I have a busy life and neither the time nor the inclination to shop at individual stores, when everything I want/need can be found under one roof. Hell, I can even get it delivered to my door.

I'm with you on this one Floops, although I probably do have a bit more time now my kids are older.

I have no complaints about the standard of food they sell, so it is Tesco's all the way for me.
03-05-2005, 10:36 PM
shopped
I prefer to shop local, well fairly local, for meat and veg in season, although Lidle is great for things like bogrolls and washing powder etc also they do great salami (unsliced) and Jamon Serrano. They do free range eggs too, proper free range too, not barn eggs.

Like any biz Tesco and their likes are out to make a profit, its up to us to decide morals v convenience...maybe supermarkets are bearing most of the flack as who knows what goes on behind the scenes of any business?

I go for the farm shops meat n veg cos they taste so much better and in the case of the meat, I know the animals have been free range, and slaughtered just a few miles away from the farm but to get meat down to supermarket prices or below you have to buy in bulk...and get your order in at the right time or else its gone!

Tescos Morrissons etc are ok for some things, its as you say, convenience.
M

Intergalactic Space Cat

[Image: wildchild.jpg]
Home of Jimi, the Wild Child.
03-05-2005, 11:11 PM
shopped
I have read the book Shopped and do agree with what she says.
But I also do use Morrisons.
I do use the local butchers for all my meat because it does taste better and they are much more informed and willing to help you.
Did you know that the pre-packed stuff (meat/fish/veg) is all in altered air to make the food last longer.

The thing is with supermarkets they have such a stong hold on the market now that no-one can compete with them.
The way they get round planning laws to have bigger stores, the way they get their fruit and veg from the suppliers is really disgraceful, the way they take money of company's to put certain products on certain shelves.

Yes big stores are terrible, but as I say, I do use them.
I started going to a farmers shop after I read that book and did get some lovely things, but I was ending up spending twice as much as I used to because after 2 days I'd have nothing left in the house, and on the money we are on there is no way I could afford to carry on that way.
So, yes I go to Morrisons, but I also support the local butchers, bakers (and with the cakes they sell there how could I not) and smaller shops in the town. I think I am at happy medium.

[Image: 429.gif]
09-05-2005, 06:31 PM
shopped
when i lived in Perth I used to get an organic box delivered each week, along with eggs and milk. They would have delivered my meat and bread if I had wanted. The service was great and reasonable priced. It was so exciting seeing the choice of veg that I would not get in the supermarket, or would be to scared to buy. We once got a cucumber, it was short and fat and we just started slicing it and eating it there and then. It was so tasty, it had a thick skin, and little seeds, like the ones dad used to grow. We also got different varietys of veg. If I had gone to the supermarket I would have been forced to buy one uniform variety. One of the local farmers told my mum she could take all of the apples she wanted - why she asked - because they were to big for the supermarket. She said they were really good tasty apples.

Once a month I would go to the farmers market in Perth. It was great being able to buy straight from the farmer, who was proud to tell u exactly how that animal was kept. There was so much more choice over the cuts of meat and the taste was far better than anything i got in the supermarket. It was also a really good atmosphere to shop in.

Sadly the local organic place here is well overpriced, but I do still use the butcher in the indoor market.
Find all posts by this user
09-05-2005, 09:53 PM
shopped
Becks those boxes sound like the best idea in the whole wide world. I am with Marmy here, little and local.

I actually haven't read shopped, but understand the basic principles, and watched a programme where they featured small business folk selling stuff like smoked salmon [correctly cured not pumped with dye blah blah], and veg producers that were being dictated to by the likes of Tesco - oh no it was Tesco - so much so that if they did not reduce their prices or make their fish more orange or sky blue pink with yellow dots they were out.

And Tesco et al think nothing of doing just that - hoying decent hardworking producers out on their ear cos their cucumbers are not 100% straight!!! [and becks I remember those proper cucumbers - nectar aren't they??]

I accept I have a little more time than people who work full time, but it actually means so much more to me to support the locals, the farm shops, the farmers markets, my mates - likewise I expect the same support when I sell my eggs [and veg if I ever get round to growing some decent stuff].

Not only does the meat and veg taste 10000000000000% nicer - I am now at the stage in life where supermarkets mean queues, hassle, parking hundreds of miles from the door, bloody stupid trolleys, anxiety, horrible people who nic stuff and shove you - yuckkkky!!!

I far prefer a shop where I know the shopkeeper, you can stand and pass the time of day, and get samples as you go - particulary handy if you have had no lunch.

And the beauty of locals are that I can ring my order in the day or week before and whip down, park right outside the door nip in pay and depart - if I am in a hurry! If I have a dinner party to cater for or a special occasion I can order exactly what I need from my butcher who comes to my door the wekk before and he brings it the next week, and I always get freebies too.

Oh and I will also support Lidl - Buffalo Mozerella 49p - BARGAIN - I buy 20 at a time!!! And the Jamon Serrano [ditto Marmy] is amazing - they even do lumpfish caviar for 1.49p [pink or black]. Yes loo rolls and washing powder and the tortilla and brioche's are pretty good too!

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]