Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
suspended junk mail postie reinstated
26-09-2006, 12:21 PM

Hmmm.

A postman was suspended by the Royal Mail after telling fed-up customers how they can opt-out of getting junk mail.

He was only re-instated after outraged customers complained.

The Royal Mail, it seems, is so dependent for business on hand-delivering junk mail that they'll try to sack anyone who wants to help stop it.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-09-2006, 02:08 PM
It;s so irritating, I sent them an email asking the to desist from putting rubbish through my door and they sent me back this -

Dear Customer

Thank you for your recent correspondence. I understand from your
letter/telephone call that you are considering “Opting Out” of receiving
Door to Door items. As a company we are quite happy to put the wheels in
motion to arrange the cessation of these deliveries to your premises but
before doing so, I need to make you fully aware of the implications of
“Opting Out” and once you have considered these, get your final written
authorisation to cease deliveries of this nature.

The main areas to be considered are:

· This service only relates to unaddressed mail. Mail bearing your
address and “To the Occupier” or any other generic recipient information,
Royal Mail is still legally obliged to deliver.

· It is not possible for us to separate advertising material and
information that you may want, such as leaflets from Central and Local
Government and other public bodies. Opting out from Royal Mail Door to Door
stops all unaddressed items.

· Opting out means no one at the Delivery point will receive mail of this
nature, is this acceptable to everyone inhabiting the property?

· If you simply want to reduce the amount of direct mail addressed in full
to yourself you can do so by registering with The Mailing Preference
Service. They can limit or reduce targeted direct mail by up to 90%. To
obtain an information pack please contact them at...

If you still wish to Opt Out of receiving Door to Door, please complete the
form enclosed and return it to the above address and we will process your
request. Every effort will be made to prevent the delivery of Door-to-Door
items by Royal Mail. Exceptionally, if relief staff are used, an
occasional delivery may occur.

Doesn't really do much to persuade me to let them keep absuing my letterbox... and what I find irritating is that I am listed with a company that stops junk mail and yet Royal Mail can still get away with it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-09-2006, 02:23 PM
I put a sign on my door and that worked for a while...until it faded in the sun!

I ahte the credit card companies and loan companies that bombard me all the time...I send it all back to them with the words '****** off...I never have nor will I ever require your services!' scrawled across the forms...I haven't heard from a few of the companies since! Wink

One company didn't get the hint after the first return so I wrote...'Even if you were the last company on earth who could supply me with a lifeboat when the world was full of pee I still wouldn't use you so sod off!' - they never replied again!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
26-09-2006, 03:05 PM
Coastie Wrote:I put a sign on my door and that worked for a while...until it faded in the sun!

I ahte the credit card companies and loan companies that bombard me all the time...I send it all back to them with the words '****** off...I never have nor will I ever require your services!' scrawled across the forms...I haven't heard from a few of the companies since! Wink

One company didn't get the hint after the first return so I wrote...'Even if you were the last company on earth who could supply me with a lifeboat when the world was full of pee I still wouldn't use you so sod off!' - they never replied again!

When we get the junk mail we store them up and then send back replies but them in different envelopes, the kids usually draw a picture to put in with them as well. Oh the joys and what an incredibly sad life I lead!!!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
26-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Oh yes Bella...it's fab sending another companies junk to another company...I confess to doing that to...looks like to sad muppets on the board with little to keep them amused in life...:laugh: I sometimes add a moul;dy old tea bag aswell if they are repeat offenders! :naughty:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
26-09-2006, 04:42 PM
I still can't believe the Post Office is promoting junk mail. Imagine their reaction if the shoe was on the other foot and their email service provider was promoting spam.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
26-09-2006, 05:56 PM
It seems a bit lame that the PO tried to sack him, although maybe they thought he was a lazy git who just wanted to lighten his mailbag a bit.

However I don't mind the PO delivering junk mail. They get paid for it, and if they didn't have that income then surely they'd either need more govt money or higher price stamps.

Mick Smile
No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts

For topical debate and vitriolic mudslinging DON'T visit: http://www.greatworlddebate.com cos it's a dead link.

INSTEAD visit http://greatworlddebate.net/gwdsmf/index.php
26-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Aye - he may have been re-instated - but he has lost his round

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/5381606.stm

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
27-09-2006, 12:46 AM
Coastie Wrote:Oh yes Bella...it's fab sending another companies junk to another company...I confess to doing that to...looks like to sad muppets on the board with little to keep them amused in life...:laugh: I sometimes add a moul;dy old tea bag aswell if they are repeat offenders! :naughty:

Well Coastie, that sounds like a fun thing to do, and I don't think you are a sad muppet. Hey they might appreciate each others junk. For me I use it as additional lining for the cat litter tray, which makes the job easier when clearing it out.

The post office have done the right thing to reinstate the postie, maybe he'll get his round back eventually.

MAUREEN
NORTHERN ANGEL. :laugh:

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Nurse suspended for prayer offer Haydon_acc2 4 1,614 03-02-2009 10:14 PM
Last Post: Fee For All