Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what is your favourite book??
23-06-2005, 11:50 AM

Just wondering what everyone's fabourite boos is and why it means so much to them.

My favourite Book is "The Butcher Boy" by Patrick Mccabe, it tells the touching, sad and sometimes funny story of a young boy Francie, an optimistic, cheeky dreamer who is a happy go lucky child until whenevery one close to him in his life ultimately leaves him and he descends into complete madness.....

Francie is exhausting, humorous and so very sad. I felt a terrible sorrow for Francie, so much so I wanted to command events. I wanted to say "Not. One. More. Bad. Thing!" The child has had enough horrible things happen to him!

The book is amazing in that Francies descent into madness is told in a poignent, very realistic and at times funny way, you empathise with him throughout the story even when his descent into madness leads him to commiting a horrifying, violent act at the end of the book.

The book is full of delightful black humour and its a sad but very compelling read.

what are your favourite books and why are they so dear to you???

I need some recommendations!

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>&quot;Work is the curse of the drinking classes&quot;</span></span>
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Hi...
My all time favourite book is 'Travels with my Aunt' by Graham Greene.
Its the tale of a middle aged man who meets up with his elderly Aunt Augusta at a funeral.She bursts into his life and literally shakes up his world.
His life up to then had been boring and routine...this great lady somehow makes him accompany her on her exotic and bewildering trips abroad.
It is HILARIOUS...(tho' it does'nt sound it.)
I thouroughly enjoyed it.
I also love 'Song for a Raggy Boy' by Patrick Galvin.(For many of the same reasons you mentioned for Pat McCabe)
And Room with a View, by EM Forster.It is so well written and descriptive that it makes me want to drop everything and head to Florence immediately.
And I have just finished reading 'The Time Travellers Wife' by Audrey Nieffenger'.It was beautiful, even better the second time round.
And i think i actually got my head around the time travelly bits this time.
What are you reading at the mo?
Find all posts by this user
23-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Aondeag Wrote:Hi...
My all time favourite book is 'Travels with my Aunt' by Graham Greene.
Its the tale of a middle aged man who meets up with his elderly Aunt Augusta at a funeral.She bursts into his life and literally shakes up his world.
His life up to then had been boring and routine...this great lady somehow makes him accompany her on her exotic and bewildering trips abroad.
It is HILARIOUS...(tho' it does'nt sound it.)
I thouroughly enjoyed it.
I also love 'Song for a Raggy Boy' by Patrick Galvin.(For many of the same reasons you mentioned for Pat McCabe)
And Room with a View, by EM Forster.It is so well written and descriptive that it makes me want to drop everything and head to Florence immediately.
And I have just finished reading 'The Time Travellers Wife' by Audrey Nieffenger'.It was beautiful, even better the second time round.
And i think i actually got my head around the time travelly bits this time.
What are you reading at the mo?

Hi Aondeag,

those books sound cool, I have seen the film of A room with a View and thought it was absolutely wonderful so I will definitely try the book too. I have actually seen the film of Song for a Raggy Boy also so i must try and read the book there too!

At the moment I'M reading another Pat McCabe book "The Dead School", again its very dark, full of repressed and melancholy characters but woth loads of fab writing and fantastic humour.

Any more favourite books to recommend peeps??!!

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>&quot;Work is the curse of the drinking classes&quot;</span></span>
23-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Hey..that's mad!
after I finished the last post ('and chorus') I suddenly remembered I meant to say The Dead School' as well.
It was the first Pat Mc Cabe I ever read...and I was hooked.It broke my heart......
Find all posts by this user
23-06-2005, 01:49 PM
I've had two favourite books really, one in my young adulthood and one in my dotage.

The first is Shibumi, by Trevanian. It's the fictional biography of Nicholai Hel, a reclusive retired assassin who becomes the target of governments eager to keep their secrets secret. It's certainly not pulp fiction, though. Hel is a wonderful creation: saintly ascetic, ruthless killer, vintage 'man-against-the establishment' with a mind like a steel trap and the tastes and lifestyle of an 18th century aristocrat. He is a man without a country, a natural mystic, philosopher, linguist, master of Go (a complex Japanese board game of high strategy). In his retirement he is a seeker of spiritual perfection, his ultimate goal being that hard to define state or condition known as Shibumi. A wonderful read.

My other favourite is The Discovery Of Heaven, by Harry Mulisch. This is a big book (65 chapters) of big themes, driven by big characters living through big events. It explores theology, philosophy, sex, the holocaust, angels, politics, eschatology, and love. It's a brilliantly written book of brilliant ideas, and I can't begin to reduce it to a synopsis.
23-06-2005, 02:18 PM
The Discovery Of Heaven, by Harry Mulisch sounds like something to get your teeth into Dab??

My favourites have to be books that I can read again and again - so that rules out the vast majority, as I know the story and get bored.

But I can read 'Notes From a Small Island' - Bill Bryson again and again - and still laugh and still be amused and visionary and loved up - when I have finished reading it.

The other one I can read again and again is The Beastly Beatitudes of Balthazar B - by J P Donleavy. This book just enthralled me beyond words - it was stupendous and written in such an odd way. With. Ridculously small. Sentances.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

23-06-2005, 03:14 PM
Flip Wrote:But I can read 'Notes From a Small Island' - Bill Bryson again and again - and still laugh and still be amused and visionary and loved up - when I have finished reading it.

I really must buy one of Bill Bryson's books soon. I've been meaning to get one for ages but haven't got round to it yet.

[Image: 429.gif]
24-06-2005, 08:25 AM
Andrea Wrote:I really must buy one of Bill Bryson's books soon. I've been meaning to get one for ages but haven't got round to it yet.

Oh Andrea you will love this one. I think your home county is Norfolk? Well that is were Bill has finally put down roots - and he loves, loves loves it.

I am no afficianado on Bill Bryson, in fact I have only ever read 2 of his this one and the follow up - and I can't even remember the name of it. But this one, Notes on a Small Island will have you in hysterics - he really is a funny man.

He was the final speaker at the WI conference in the Albert Hall a couple of weeks ago - he addressed 7,000 women - and had each and every one of us in stitches. He is quite the most unassuming sweet man - but ever so funny and passionate about the UK.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

24-06-2005, 12:16 PM
Flip Wrote:Oh Andrea you will love this one. I think your home county is Norfolk? Well that is were Bill has finally put down roots - and he loves, loves loves it.

Your right Flip, he was in the local paper a few weeks back saying how he loves it here and has decided to stay.

[Image: 429.gif]
24-06-2005, 12:17 PM
So far my favourite book of all time is 'Rebecca' by Daphne Du Maurier.

If you've ever had to live in the shadow of someone's ex...then you will understand this book completely.

Worth a read.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What book are you reading now? Voice of reason 702 132,041 13-01-2012 05:06 AM
Last Post: ADDYSON
  Good book site Fee For All 1 1,591 28-05-2007 10:59 AM
Last Post: Fee For All
  Your 5 Favourite books as a child Crystal Lights 47 9,012 24-05-2007 04:42 PM
Last Post: Coastie
  i need a new book kookycat 13 5,105 05-10-2006 09:23 AM
Last Post: Critique
  A good book. Northern angel 1 1,348 30-01-2006 06:05 PM
Last Post: Northern angel
  Book club choice for June/July.... Dolores 49 7,210 26-07-2005 07:31 AM
Last Post: Aondeag
  book club kookycat 25 4,503 15-06-2005 06:00 PM
Last Post: kookycat
  What’s your favourite Terry Pratchett Book? Cockney 12 3,340 01-03-2005 06:51 PM
Last Post: waylander