Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
your internet & email service
09-04-2005, 04:32 PM

Just wondering who has broadband and if it's worth changing providers as prices get more competitive?

We've been with BT for a couple of years, our initial package was £27.99 a month but they recently reduced it to £24.99 a month. However I've noticed that new customers can get it for £17.99 a month, the same price as other providers like wanadoo. I'm wondering if it's worth changing - or would that be more hassle than it's worth, what with maybe having to change modems.

Another thing is that before we went to broadband we had an email account with freeserve which we have retained since going to BT broadband, because it's free to use. THe problem is every three months I have to go in and reactivate the account and it screws up my email settings which I have to spend half an hor fiddling with. It would be easier if I get a new BT email account but that costs £1.50 a month - not much I know but I don't like the idea of having to pay. I need something I can access via Outlook Express, but not hotmail or the like because of all the junk mail you get with it.

Does anyone have a BT broadband account with a decent email service? If so which service do you use?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2005, 05:19 PM
No I can;t help you with this.

I am so so so sorry SF, but I have had a couple of beers on an empty stomach...really not a good idea, and I just could not resist...
09-04-2005, 05:22 PM
I'm a bit dim about these things, SF, but I'm on Tiscali broadband at £15.99 a month. It's not the fastest one, you can pay a bit more and get faster, but I believe they are very competitive. It was really easy to install (did it myself so it must be).
09-04-2005, 05:43 PM
I have the BT 2Mb Broadband and I am really, really pleased with it. It is very fast and we have never had any problems. I use Mozilla Firefox as my browser and Mozilla Thunderbird for e-mail. Both of them are fantastic - much better than IE and Outlook.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-04-2005, 05:51 PM
We're on a cable package - Blueyonder Broadband with Telewest cable telly and phone (with unlimited free landline calls). I think it's a good deal, well worth the dirt and noise of cable connection.

It came with Outlook Express but that's too temperamental, so I use Wanadoo and Yahoo webmail accounts.
09-04-2005, 06:07 PM
I've been with first Freeserve and then it changed to Wanadoo for about 3 years now. It was £29.99 per month when I signed up but now they do a cheaper one but it has restricted time and limited downloads. They reduced mine to £27.99 some time ago (because of all the competition) and I stuck with it. I've had no problems and I am always on. I get 1mb connection speed, 30G per month downloads (which is far more than I'll ever use) so it suits me fine. My son (who lives in the flat downstairs) has his computer networked to mine and my hubby has his one connected too so I guess it's not bad value really.

I've never heard of having to pay for E-mail accounts. I got a freeserve one and can have others if I want them.

As for Hotmail, I think you might have had your settings wrong because I get less spam and junkmail from them than the freeserve one. Their filters are really good.

I use Outlook Express but can access my hotmail account from there too. I used to get a lot of Freeserve Spam but my brother told me how to set my account to filter the Spam so that it gets picked up by Wanadoo and doesn't get to my Outlook Express.

I suppose there are cheaper ones but I don't think it's worth the hassle to change as this suits me fine.

We can't get cable but I think they do a good deal if you can get it.
09-04-2005, 06:55 PM
Maybe you could come into the bar after 9.00pm. You are sure to meet some very interesting people.
09-04-2005, 07:22 PM
I finally got BB here a month ago, and after masses of research I went with Wanadoo and am very happy with them. I did a speed check along with some others, and I was the fastest for 1mb. I use Slimbrowser, and OE for mail. I don't like Hotmail anyway, so that's one I won't use.

I was also on Wanadoo for over a week before they announced my billing due a month later, so that was rather nice! Smile
09-04-2005, 07:49 PM
Why is that everyone bar Buzz and me know what they are talking about servers and internet stuff? It is a blur of whizzy scientific technical type of uck. I have no idea who we have, what they do or how much we pay. Although I know I can talk on the phone and work the computer at the same time and that all my landline calls are free. [well for an hour only]

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

10-04-2005, 06:29 PM
I'm with Virgin BB and have had no problem with them and their e-mails.
It's £17.99/month with a 3gb cap on. But I e-mailed them to see if there was a way of monitoring my download and they basically said that at the moment they wouldn't charge anything for going over the 3gb/month, but I doubt I do that anyway.
The best thing about Virgin is there is no 12 month contract. If you want to change you just give them a months notice.

[Image: 429.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How to behave on an internet forum Haydon_acc2 12 2,442 07-04-2008 05:50 PM
Last Post: Haydon_acc2
  Price matching to the Internet mazwad 1 914 21-12-2007 05:04 PM
Last Post: mazwad
  The Internet - Is It The New "Neighbourhood"? Seabreeze 13 2,119 27-10-2007 12:01 AM
Last Post: Flyo
  Internet usage policy at work Dolores 8 1,232 08-06-2007 07:31 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  What do you use the internet for? Seabreeze 21 2,596 26-04-2007 08:39 PM
Last Post: Isis
  How many in your Email inbox? IsLe Of WeAtHeR 10 1,067 10-08-2006 02:02 AM
Last Post: msgirl
  Free Wireless Internet gatubela 12 2,637 15-04-2006 04:45 AM
Last Post: gatubela
  customer service kookycat 10 1,131 27-02-2006 02:29 AM
Last Post: Northern angel
  Internet Explorer VS Mozilla Firefox PJ 15 1,378 12-08-2005 09:08 PM